+ Reply to Thread

Question A house full of old sockets . . . how to fix it?

The background: we're in a 1905 rowhouse in downtown DC. we've got loads of work to do, and not a lot of money or time to do it (and have to live there with two small children and a dog while we do most of the work, so obviously can only do bite-sized pieces at a time). we will eventually be ripping out a couple walls, re-laying floor, gutting kitchen and bathroom, new windows, new roof, oh the list (and cost!) goes on and on.

But in the meantime, there are nowhere near enough outlets in the house - and indeed, many of the ones that do exist are in wierd spots or don't work at all. Even worse, most of them are run on the outside of the wall (rather than behind the walls)- the walls are plaster. I'm assuming that this was a cheap way to do it whenever it was done (correct me if i'm wrong) but it is really unattractive.

So, here are my questions:

1) I assume that it makes sense to have the sockets placed properly before we go on doing other work on the walls, correct? How big of a job is this? How expensive? (not a big house, and i'm just looking for ballpark)

2) On a slightly different topic, one day I tried to replace a dining room light switch that was malfunctioning, and when i took the plate off to look inside, i noticed that, as i was looking around and giggling the connections, the lights in the kitchen (the next room) flashed what does this mean?

obviously, i'm fairly clueless. . . any advice is appreciated!!!!!

Default Re: A house full of old sockets . . . how to fix it?

we're in a 1905 rowhouse

live there with two small children and a dog

there are nowhere near enough outlets in the house - and indeed, many of the ones that do exist are in wierd spots or don't work at all. Even worse, most of them are run on the outside of the wall (rather than behind the walls)-

giggling the connections, the lights in the kitchen (the next room) flashed what does this mean?

obviously, i'm fairly clueless. . . any advice is appreciated
    Don't take this the wrong way .... I would strongly recommend you contact an electrician as soon as you can for your family's well being.

It sounds as though you have a hodge podge of wiring inside the home and sounds scarey.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: A house full of old sockets . . . how to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way .... I would strongly recommend you contact an electrician as soon as you can for your family's well being.

It sounds as though you have a hodge podge of wiring inside the home and sounds scarey.
    I concer I was a electrician in Dc area for a few years. You probably have knob and tube wiring. That is not something for a amature to play with.
    Harry