+ Reply to Thread

Default Down draft cook top

We have a GE Profile down draft cook top that vents out to the north side of the house. Cold air comes through the vent during the winter months (live in Maryland). The metal duct work going through the cabinet gets extremely cold in the winter. The air inside the cabinet gets so cold because of the metal duct work that I had to seal off the underneath cabinets with sheet insulation. Now we have lost the storage space in the cabinets under the cook top. The surrounding cabinets get cold as well and the countertop on top of these cabinets gets pretty cold also. This problem ends up making the whole kitchen colder than it should and in turn requires our heat to run more often. We have been living with this for 10 yrs and I've tried finding solutions over the years but have not had any luck. It this just the nature of these systems (can't imagine that) and we are going to be stuck with this problem or is there something that can be done?

Default Re: Down draft cook top

Hello, yes this is the nature and the down fall to these type systems. Your dryer vent is probably the same way. As a matter of fact I just removed my lint trap on my dryer today to clean it and the -20 degree cold air is rushing in. The vents outside should have a flapper on it to keep critters out. That alone will not stop the cold air. You can try to insulate the duct work coming from outside all the way to the range but it still wont stop the cold air from coming up through the pipe. Suggestion? how often do you really use the vent? Just asking because some people dont use them much and you can actually get a filter for some units to catch the odor/smoke without venting them out. Other than that, no, they all tend to have this issue.
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

Default Re: Down draft cook top

Try Paul Raymer at www.heyokasolutions.com or the folks at Tamarack Technologies www.TamTech.com. They might have a solution or be able to point you to someone with the answer. I think there is a powered hood that would keep the from entering.