+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Bad circuit breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by electricianhelper View Post
    There is a way to test this. Take a digital multi-meter and the breaker. Turn the breaker off and turn your tester on the contunity. Touch the two leads together and your should hear a buzzer. Connect the black lead to the terminal screw and the red one to the part that connects to the panel. No buzzing sound should go off. With the test leads on, turn the breaker on. If you hear a buzzing sound, it's a good breaker and you might just have a loose wire or bad connection somewhere. If there is no sound, then you know it's a bad breaker. This test is good so you don't have to move breakers around or if you have only say a 30 amp breaker and you have no other ones. This should help. If you need futher info, please feel free to contact me.

-EH-

EH,
    Jack is correct.

I have question for you.... Please read carefully.
    Where did you get DVOM that is rated for 120 - 240 volts?
    I've seen DVM rated for 120 - 240 volts.

Your idea will work as long the wires are completely disconnect from breaker box and use DVOM to check continuity........but make sure you know there are no power sources available at the wires.

I did that when I re-wire my garage electrical. No wires are connected to breaker box, I check each wires carefully so I know which wire goes where and label them.
    [Somebody re-wired it before I bought my house and I haven't got any clue which wire goes where..blah..blah...]
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Me thinks this explains why we are an "electrician's helper"...and not a licensed electrician.

PS- Here's another problem..."If you hear a buzzing sound, it's a good breaker"

Not so, Bucko. All that continuity test determines is if there is a minimal amount of conductivity thru the breaker. It says nothing about that breaker's true load carrying capacity...or its proper functioning with a load applied in the event of a fault or overload condition.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-12-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Me thinks this explains why we are an "electrician's helper"...and not a licensed electrician.

PS- Here's another problem..."If you hear a buzzing sound, it's a good breaker"

Not so, Bucko. All that continuity test determines is if there is a minimal amount of conductivity thru the breaker. It says nothing about that breaker's true load carrying capacity...or its proper functioning with a load applied in the event of a fault or overload condition.
    Not to mention the fact that not all meters will have an audible indication of continuity . I have a FLUKE 87V multi meter , and you have to enable that function .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Not to mention the fact that not all meters will have an audible indication of continuity . I have a FLUKE 87V multi meter , and you have to enable that function .
    Ditto for both of my meters.

Ditto for every meter used here.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush