Quote Originally Posted by electricianhelper View Post
There is a way to test this. Take a digital multi-meter and the breaker. Turn the breaker off and turn your tester on the contunity. Touch the two leads together and your should hear a buzzer. Connect the black lead to the terminal screw and the red one to the part that connects to the panel. No buzzing sound should go off. With the test leads on, turn the breaker on. If you hear a buzzing sound, it's a good breaker and you might just have a loose wire or bad connection somewhere. If there is no sound, then you know it's a bad breaker. This test is good so you don't have to move breakers around or if you have only say a 30 amp breaker and you have no other ones. This should help. If you need futher info, please feel free to contact me.

-EH-

EH,
Jack is correct.

I have question for you.... Please read carefully.
Where did you get DVOM that is rated for 120 - 240 volts?
I've seen DVM rated for 120 - 240 volts.

Your idea will work as long the wires are completely disconnect from breaker box and use DVOM to check continuity........but make sure you know there are no power sources available at the wires.

I did that when I re-wire my garage electrical. No wires are connected to breaker box, I check each wires carefully so I know which wire goes where and label them.
[Somebody re-wired it before I bought my house and I haven't got any clue which wire goes where..blah..blah...]