+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Insulating the basement ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by energy22 View Post
    P2000 is the "Greenest" Product on the market.P2000 is the most "Fire Safe" Product on the market.
    P2000 is the most "Energy Efficient" Product on the market.
    P2000 is the cheapest Insulation Product on the market.
    P2000 is the easiest product to install in the market.
    I can't stop using it on my buildings. My renters are paying more to pay less on their energy costs.
    I am curious how others are enjoying their success with the P2000.
    I just built a 5,400 sqft house in El Dorado California and the electricity bill for a family of 6 has been between $70.00 and $90.00 for the last two months and these have the hottest months we have had in a long time.
    My electrician started a fire in the garage and the P2000 actually stopped the fire. I was amazed. I still use the electrician, he accidentally let the concrete polisher plug his grinder into the E-box without the dead guard. They paid for it, so no sweat. The best part was that with the P2000, the lack of flame actually choked the Fire from it's oxygen and the fire died before even ruining anything that a paint job couldn't fix. All they had to do was pay for paint and replace the garage door opener.

Being that it is a vapor barrier also it is ideal for basements. You will save money with P2000 Insulation Systems.

I did.
    I have a hard time thinking of polystyrene as being green

Here in NH a basement must be insulated in one of two ways in order to pass the current energy code. You either need to insulate the basement ceiling/first floor or you need to insulate all the basement walls from the slab up to the insulated walls above. If you don't do this the energy code audit will not pass.
    Todd Fratzel

Interesting ... hard to imagine that insulating the basement ceiling would be a requirment or an alternative .... the walls make sense.

Around here it was mandatory for the top 4 feet of the basement wall in the past .... it was changed to be the entire basement wall ... no requirement for the ceiling and wouldn't be an alternative.

Personally don't see a major advantage insulating the basement ceiling.

Goes to show the difference from region to region.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I didn't say it made sense. The idea here really comes down to insulating the complete conditioned space. So, if you say that you're not heating your basement (regardless of what heat comes off your boiler) then you'd insulate the floor. If you intend on heating the basement then you would do the walls. In theory it makes sense. Most of the new homes we build now get the floor insulated.
    Todd Fratzel

Here in MN we don't insulate the underside of the floor that separates the basement and the upper level but we do insulate the basement walls even if the basement isn't heated.

Even though you may not have heat runs open in the basement, your basement is still unintentionally conditioned having combusiton appliances there, with heat runs and the flue pipes radiating heat. You must also be careful if you seal this area off that the volume of the basement that houses the combustion appliances (also known as the combustion appliance zone, or CAZ)has enough air to supply the units to burn properly. I would not recommend insulating the floor, but it you do, install unfaced fiberglass or slash the paper to allow it to breath, or you could end up with moisture/condensation problems. Same goes for interior walls.