+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Repairing hole in drywall from towel bar mounting bracket

Having been a member of this and other forums for over 10 years, I'm well aware of how they work and the importance of the archived threads. Sometimes in our verve to offer assistance, we neglect to look at the age of the topic. Reviving an old topic is fine when more relevant conversation exists on the subject. All I said is that a spammer brought up an old thread that folks are now posting new responses to.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Holey mackeral Mr. Spruce, i hope you are a patriot.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You guys do realize that you're responding to a two year old thread that was brought back to life by a spammer, right? The OP is long gone.
    But here I am searching three years later and I found the answer to my problem. Good info is never out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by postedbydiane View Post
    But here I am searching three years later and I found the answer to my problem. Good info is never out of date.
    Glad you found the answers you were looking for, and you're right, good info never goes out of date, though it is hampered by the rampant spam that goes unchecked and plagues this forum.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have always assumed that the folks at TOH periodically bring some of these old posts back, usually when the board is having a lull period. In any event, I do find them interesting, even if old.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I have always assumed that the folks at TOH periodically bring some of these old posts back,.
    Only if they're the ones posting all the spam, which would explain why it goes unchecked around here.

My 2 cents for a 3 year old thread. The best way to fix a towel bar hole caused by anchors pulling out, and not causing a bunch of work is as follows.

If you like where it is then open the hole so it is wider one way than the other without going beyond what is hidden when the mount is in place. Get a piece of wood the width of the hole and about 1/2" thick. Measure the width of the hole and add 6".Tie a string around the board right in the middle and put whatever adhesive you have on one side of the board (elmers glue/liquid nail/drywall mud). Drop the board in the hole and use the string to pull the board up flat against the wall so it runs in line with the holes in your towel rack mounting bracket.You can now tie it off and let it dry, or you can hold it in place and put your bracket back on with screws long enough to go through the wood and you will have a rock solid mount without tearing up anything. If you are not in a big hurry you can let the piece of wood dry in the wall then fill the hole with drywall mud if you like, but most towel bar mounts are made so the outside edge it what is against the wall so you don't have a gap. Some folks will say it is not as strong as adding the board anchored to the studs in the wall, and they are correct. If you had it mounted with drywall anchors before and just want a fix that requires no drywall repair, no sanding, no painting, no staining a piece of wood to match, no trying to patch wall paper, then do this repair in 30 minutes instead.

The glue on the board is so it does not fall inside the wall when you decide to take the towel bar off next time.

Just saying,
    cb

Default Re: Keep Posting No Matter What!

Hey 2-3 years further down the road and this info is still helping someone. Kudos to ThisOldVet and to everyone that
    Participates and shares their knowledge on this forum. Information and knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.
    ThisOldVets quotes that he provided is dead on: "And one question as you see does not always have one answer; the world has many options and we as Americans are FREE to CHOOSE what WE WANT! More ideas, More options, Better Life!" Thanks again everyone!