+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Repairing hole in drywall from towel bar mounting bracket

I have a towel bar in the bathroom that fell off the wall because of deteriorating drywall. What is the proper way to repair the hole? It is approximately one inch long and 1/2 inch wide. The towel bar has a mounting bracket that is held in by two screws. When I tried to fill the hole with joint compound and redrill the small holes for the screws, the compound just flaked away back into the wall void. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Repairing hole in drywall from towel bar mounting bracket

I think you need to relocate the towel bar about six inches away from the original location.

I forgot to mention a huge detail. The wall has wallpaper which we don't have any small pieces left. And only one side of the towel bar mounting brackets has deteriorated. So moving the bar isn't an option unless we repaper the entire wall.

If you have access to the opposite side of the wall, cut out a section of drywall, install some wood backing, patch the wall, then re-install the towel bar. If you don't have access to the other side of the wall, attach a board to the wall (1" x 4" x the length of the towel bar plus a few inches) anchoring the board to the wall studs, then attach the towel bar to the board.
    The board can be stained or painted to match your existing trim.
    HTH

Dave

really nice suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Dave357 View Post
    If you have access to the opposite side of the wall, cut out a section of drywall, install some wood backing, patch the wall, then re-install the towel bar. If you don't have access to the other side of the wall, attach a board to the wall (1" x 4" x the length of the towel bar plus a few inches) anchoring the board to the wall studs, then attach the towel bar to the board.
    The board can be stained or painted to match your existing trim.
    good advice
    If you go with the board seal all sides before you mount it.
    Last edited by generaldark; 12-31-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Small holes in walls were my specialty when my kids were teenagers.
    They would swing the heavy front door open and eventually they knock a hole in the wall with the door knob. Yep the door stop would fail. These were big man sized boys. I did all the usual things with fiberglass tape behind the sheet rock but nothing worked till I did this.
    I mounted on the wall a length of wood that was long enough to extend to and sometimes beyond the wall studs. I finished it to match the wood in the house (but I could have painted it). I used 1"x6" board, mounted it on the wall counter sunk the screws, put buttons in the holes finished to match, and I put a commercial door bumper (shaped like a mushroom top) right where the knob went. I don't have a picture to attach or I would. That transferred the energy of the knob to the wall studs. Sorry for the round about answer, but you could do the same thing. You have to find the studs, decide on the length of board, do a dry fit, then finish, mount square, then mount the towel bar to board. Should never fall off again and the board will cover the hole adequately. Won't have to worry about matching the wall paper either. Paint to match your trim color in there.

Smile Re: Repairing hole in drywall from towel bar mounting bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Hog View Post
    I have a towel bar in the bathroom that fell off the wall because of deteriorating drywall. What is the proper way to repair the hole? It is approximately one inch long and 1/2 inch wide. The towel bar has a mounting bracket that is held in by two screws. When I tried to fill the hole with joint compound and redrill the small holes for the screws, the compound just flaked away back into the wall void. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Patch up the holes so the surface is flush. Then mount a nice oak board, routed on all four sides, to the wall. Oak would be nice, with a durable finish on it. Attach a new towel bar to the oak board, and you are all set. Just be sure you attach the board to the studs, so it will be very solid. Use long screws to attach it. Put wooden buttons in the holes to conceal the screws.

You guys do realize that you're responding to a two year old thread that was brought back to life by a spammer, right? The OP is long gone.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Keep Posting No Matter What!

Actually A. Spruce you are right obout the date but totally wrong about anyone listening to their feedback!!! People use search engines all the time to find advice, tips, instructions, or just complete how to DIY directions on the web. And most of the time they find what they are looking for on Forums like this. And if they don't typically ask a question on a forum it's because they don't need to because people have shared their knowledge and experiences on a certain subject. And one question as you see does not always have one answer; the world has many options and we as Americans are FREE to CHOOSE what WE WANT! More ideas, More options, Better Life!