+ Reply to Thread

Smile cost of repairing aluminum wiring?

I need to repair the aluminum wiring connections in my 936 sq ft ranch home in Bloomington, Indiana. It was built in 1959. How much may it cost? I am looking for a ball-park figure here. I just need to know if it will be in the tens of thousands or the hundreds of thousands.

Thanks!
    Mandy

Default Re: cost of repairing aluminum wiring?

Aluminum wiring problems crop up where the wire terminates on the screw terminals of receptacles and switches typically.

Repair usually involves pig-tailing the existing wiring with an approved connector to a copper pig-tail and re-terminating to the device. I would replace all of the devices while I was at it with new ones because 49 years is a long time……………. I know I’m 49. LOL.

I would also inspect and correct/ re-torque/oxide-inhibit all wire terminations at your meter and service.

$120.00 trip charge.
    $30.50 per device. Be it receptacle, switch, range, dryer etc.
    $220.00 panel connections.

thank you!!!

other than larger cables like #8 and larger were houses wired with aluminum in 1959. I thought it was late 60's to mid 70's? I wasn't a electrician till 1976 and it was almost the end of #10 and 12# aluminum. and clad cable
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    other than larger cables like #8 and larger were houses wired with aluminum in 1959. I thought it was late 60's to mid 70's? I wasn't a electrician till 1976 and it was almost the end of #10 and 12# aluminum. and clad cable
    I thought the samething as you. I thought 1959 sounded early myself. I will be interested in the response to this.