+ Reply to Thread

Default Using MDF for cabinet doors

Is MDF a good material for cabinet doors and drawer fronts? From what I understand this material takes paint very well.

Default Re: Using MDF for cabinet doors

It takes paint very well, however it does not do well in wet locations.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Doingitall -

MDF is a stable material for use in cabinetry. I do not like to prime it with a water soluable primer however. Water tends to swell the material which is nothing more than fine sawdust bound together. Use an oil based primer. The finish coat can be either oil or acrylic.

Personally....I would not recommend it for the purposes you propose.

It is very heavy...comparatively speaking. Also, exposed corners and edges will chip rather than dent if struck hard.

If it gets wet....it swells and will not return to its original dimensions when it dries.

Screw threads do not hold all that well in this material.........comparatively speaking.

MDF does have its place, but IMO, cabinet doors and drawer fronts are not among those uses.

Yes, there are major manufacturers of kitchen cabs who use this material for their cabinets.....including doors and drawers. However, I wouldn't recommend buying them if you're looking for a truly longlasting product.

Ditto to ****hiller's post.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb