+ Reply to Thread

Default exterior paint peeling

I have a small building that is sided with T10-11 wood siding. The first paint applied was oil based paint, but after one year it looked really bad so I preped and repainted with oil besed paint. Now a year later, the paint is peeling especially on the west side where it gets the most sun. I have just about finished preping again by using a stiff wire brush on a small grinder. In many places it is all the way down to the bare wood. There are many places, however that seem to be holding fast but there are many vertical cracks in the paint. The power brush doesn't affect it. I have been told that I should prime with pure acrylic primmer and then paint with 2 coats of pure acrylic paint. I live in southern California, but I have always thought that oil based primer and paint were better for wood. I need some help. I would like to avoid the annual paint project on this small building. Thanks
    Last edited by gppatten; 06-19-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Default Re: exterior paint peeling

GP -

You fail to say how this small building is used. As a general rule, when siding peels to bare wood, moisture transfer is involved. Is there anything generating moisture in this building?
    T-111 is not my favorite kind of siding. It is nothing more than exterior grade plywood.

I still have a biase towards oil primer followed by a top coat of acrylic housepaint.I especially like the acrlic over T-111 because it is a very grainy plywood and the grain tends to raise. An acrylic housepaint is much more flexible than an oil paint and will stretch with the movement of the plywood grain. Acrylics also allow for vapor transfer better than oil paint. Should moisture be being generated inside the structure, it will be better able to travel through the wall . Also, acrylics are much more color fast than oil paints. They do not oxidize like oils.

Smile Re: exterior paint peeling

Moisture is definitely the problem, causing the paint to peel. When you redo the paint job, be sure you use a good primer, plus a high grade of paint, with "boiled linseed oil" mixed with the paint. The linseed oil will setup a barrier that ultra violet rays will not penetrate. Believe me, the linseed oil really does the trick. I have used it for many years in all my exterior staining projects. No more warped boards, especially on the west side, where that nasty sun is so powerful during the day. The linseed oil will help to solve your problem. First of all, you have to figure out the cause of the peeling, which is more than likely moisture moving through your siding.

Good luck with your problem.