+ Reply to Thread

Default replacing linoleum in bathroom with tile

I'm removing the linoleum in my bathroom and would like to replace it with tile. What steps should I take to prepare the floor for tile?

Default Re: replacing linoleum in bathroom with tile

When I re-did my 2nd bathroom floor, I followed this directions from HGTV to prepare my floor. It was great advice.

Remove the old linoleum floor with a pry bar, hammer and utility knife.

If the subflooring is in decent shape the tile can be laid on top with a little sanding. If not, then use backerboard. It creates a uniform surface and will protect the tiles from damage. Before screwing down the backerboard, lay down a thin layer of mastic or thinset mortar. Then use 1-1/4-inch decking screws to fasten down the backerboard. It's important to use decking screws because they do not rust or rot like untreated screws.
    ______
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.

Default Re: replacing linoleum in bathroom with tile

Quote Originally Posted by peterhutchins13 View Post
    I'm removing the linoleum in my bathroom and would like to replace it with tile. What steps should I take to prepare the floor for tile?
    After you remove the existing floor coverings you'll be left with your subfloor. The subfloor is "not" good enough to put any cbu (cement board unit) over. You should have approx 1 1/4" of plywood down before you lay your cement boards down. The CBU's are not structural btw.."at all". they're just a proper surface for laying your tile.
    If your subfloor is 3/4" typical you'll need to screw down a layer of 1/2" ply over the 3/4"

Personally I wouldn't use mastic under the cbu...I only use thinset and then use CBU screws to screw your boards down leaving about an 1/8" of space between boards.
    Use mildew resistant fiberglass tape over all seams and put a very thin layer of thinset over that. Let it dry overnight and then you're ready to put your layout lines down and start tiling.
    Have fun.
    If you Google Michael Byrne...he has a great book on tiling. I highly recommend it.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=NwY...gbs_navlinks_s
    Last edited by andybuildz; 01-31-2010 at 08:17 AM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו