+ Reply to Thread

Default Help- save my cork

I have an 80 year old house with cork tiles glued to a solid wood floor. I have tried every wood flooring guy in town and no one knows cork. The tiles are 4"x 4" and 1/2" thick and laid in a pattern. They had carpet stapled to on top and there are some small holes and a couple of big ones. But I can live with that, it actually adds character.

Can anyone tell me how to sand and refinish a cork floor like this. It's going to be me or the guys from TOH, and they haven't called yet.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by jmac55; 06-18-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo

Sand Springs, OK

Default Re: Help- save my cork

I read about sanding somewhere lately so I went to look it up

Any poly used for floors is suitable. Varathane, minwax, etc. all make one for cork floors.

If you need to sand it, then you can use 150 grit. I don't recommend going any more coarse unless you are ready to do some serious sandings.

if you find areas that need to be filled, you can take some cork dust and mix it with some poly and fill the areas. yes, it will be noticable, but any area that has been ripped open will be noticable. unless you can find a match of the floor tile, then you can try to cut out the part that is damaged and replace it with the new tile. obviously, do this before putting down your finish.
    Debby in Oklahoma