+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Spraying water based Polyurethane

[QUOTE=canuk;26794]What?!?!? .... You're not done yet ?????

Nice job .... not bad for a sparky.[/QUOTE

To funny.....I have been on the road all week long in Illinois and Wisconsin. I got home friday night at 8 pm. I was up at 8am and worked till 11 I had a graduation... Gees work sunday doing exspence reports and paper work. The sprayed a second coat today at noon. I want some rest...... Yea not bad for a old sparkey lol
    I guess I deserve to get my B*lls busted cause I give you a hard time to lol

What did you do up Nort this weekend? To funny
    Harry

my question is why did you use corner blocks? I'm sure someone who can figure out how to wire a house with out burning it down can in just a couple of practice cuts can get those angles.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    my question is why did you use corner blocks? I'm sure someone who can figure out how to wire a house with out burning it down can in just a couple of practice cuts can get those angles.
    Maybe, but have you ever tried to cut crown with a pair of linesman pliers?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Maybe, but have you ever tried to cut crown with a pair of linesman pliers?
    see now thats why these boards are so helpful. now I have a greater understanding of electricians

Using linesman pliers hmmm. I didn't try that one!!!

Although I have used them for everything else. I have used them with a screw driver to cut aluminum siding. Hang pictures drive nails. open beer cans and bottles

The truth is why I used the blocks is in the corners I used three pieces of crown molding one in the corner. There wasn't a way to cut to get all three to come together that looked good.

When I cut the two for the peak I put it together and it looked great but something was missing as far as looks. So I put one at the peak. By the way the angle was 6 degress

you all are to funny
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    How unfortunate you used satin for your undercoats. Ah well, perhaps a hazy flat milky finish with no depth and a full strip to refinish instead of touch up years later, is what you were going for.
    Excuse ME!!!!! Satin was my choice as I have to live with it not you!!!!! In my opinion it looks more natural as wood is supposed to look like. It left no hazy milk finish as you described. There is alot of sun in that room all day long and with gloss it would have been a lot of glare hense my choice.
    Harry

harry don't worry about the joke. high gloss is most often used for furniture pieces. yuk yuk is the name of a comedy club chain. that said how could that person be taken seriously

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Harry,

I am not referring to the effect you have now, with a base and one top coat; but the likely appearance after you have built up four layers or more (two solid layers above your first pass) made up entirely of satin finish.

Normally with clear finishes, one uses the maximum gloss for the undercoats and top coats it with the dulling finish of choice, or rubs/buffs it down/out, especially with water based formulas, to get a depth of finish (followed by a single matte or satin top coat or a rubbed out top coat, if a less glossy/reflective finish is the desired appearance). Later touch ups or refinish then involves sanding down/biting in/removing that final dulled coat, then new top coat, or a coat of gloss followed by a new top coat.

Reap what you sow, and enjoy the fruits of your labors.
    I might have agreed with you as far as the milky finish if it was brushed on. But as I have noted it was sprayed on which is a much lighter coat. That is why 4 coats I understand your opinion and you have right to express it. Thanks for your input.
    Harry

I promised some pictures of this project. I have more coming as my memory stick was full.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00202.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	1378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00203.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	1379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00204.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	1380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00205.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	1381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00206.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	1382  

Harry

Harry ... GREAT JOB.

The finish you chose really makes the cedar pop .... looks nice.

I know where we'll be sitting when I come down that way for a visit.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush