+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Ceiling Fan motor

We have a fairly new ceiling fan. The blades were a bit too long for the area that it was installed in. We also have a pantry right near the fan. When you open the pantry door, it can hit the fan blades.

I forgot one day, not to open the pantry door all the way, and ended up hitting the fan blades. That damaged the motor. Now all we can use it for is just to light up the kitchen.

Question: Can we get the motor repaired, or do we have to buy a new ceiling fan?

Default Re: Ceiling Fan motor

Unless you have one expensive fan it would probably be cheaper to replace it. But, you could call a local motor winding shop to get an idea of what it would cost. I never have small motors rewound as I have found they are cheaper to just replace.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Unless you have one expensive fan it would probably be cheaper to replace it. But, you could call a local motor winding shop to get an idea of what it would cost. I never have small motors rewound as I have found they are cheaper to just replace.
    I concur the cost will be prohibitive in almost all cases.
    Harry

Lets see, Pantry door = 6 ft 8 inches tall? Look in your instruction manual and I believe that there is mention of a 7 ft mininimum hight restriction.
    Electricity is "Big Boy Stuff" If you don't know what you are doing, Hire a Pro!

The ceiling fan is mounted from the ceiling. The problem is that the blades are too long for the space that it is in. The pantry comes out about 26" from the wall and the door is about 7" from the fan blades. So when the pantry door is opened, it ends up hitting the fan blades when the fan is on.

I've heard recently that shorter fan blades are available and I wish I had heard of that earlier.