+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 100 year old floor - Help!

My parents are moving out of their 100+ year old house which will then be demolished. Don't fret, we are pulling out all of the old fittings and mouldings to recycle. My question is about the oak floors. The first and second floors (2000+ sq ft) are all thin strip oak - about 1/4 inch thick which all have a nice parquet edging. Is there any market for flooring this thin?

Default Re: 100 year old floor - Help!

I'm gonna say...no. 1/4" is just too thin to be practical.

First, you'd have to get it up without breaking it and then....when it's laid in a new location, it'll need to be sanded again.

Are your sure the total thickness of this flooring is actually 1/4"? I don't think I've ever encountered any flooring that thin.

Have you seen the edge of the flooring somewhere and so you defintely know it to be 1/4"....or did you perhaps slide a probe down the cracks between the boards and it stopped at 1/4"? (It could very well be 3/4" flooring and your probe is stopping when it strikes the top of the tongue...of 3/4" T&G flooring.)

I have to agree with ****hiller. I have never seen "old" flooring that thin. Is it possible that it was laminate flooring that was recently applied? If it is 3/4" T&G their is a market for it but you may want to check pricing to see if you consider it worth your labor.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Its really only slightly more than 1/4". I pulled a couple of pieces up and used a ruler. Would have been a **** mine if it was 3/4". Its layed over top of 3/4 - 4/4 pine planks. I guess it was an inexpensive way to have a fancy floor.
    Last edited by GoshenJon; 06-17-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: typo

Those pine planks may be worth more than the flooring, especially if they are wide planks. Where are you located?
    Jack

The pine boards are 5 1/2" wide - nothing spectacular there. I'll try and post a sample picture of the oak and the pine tomorrow. In any event, I'm about 8 hours east of you, JL. Thanks to both you and ****hiller.

With no ill will intended, I have to disagree with my more easterly located brethren. Here on the west coast, 1/4" oak strip flooring is quite common in 1940's - 1960's homes. Whether there is a market for your salvaged flooring I cannot speculate.

An option may be to contact local woodworking supply shops (tool and materials dealers ) for either flooring shops that specialize in flooring of this nature OR for local woodworking groups that could turn your salvaged floor into any number of things, from toys to disadvantages kids (Toys for Tots via the Salvation Army to name one ) to intartia, inlays, and any number of marketry (fine miniature woodcraft ) items.

Good luck in finding a new home for your flooring. Kudo's in "reduce, reuse, and recycle".
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Well you learn something new every day. do you suppose that was available 100 years ago or was it a 1940 to 1960 remodel?

I would also like to say "Kudos in "reduce, reuse, and recycle".
    Jack

Isn't it past your bedtime Jack?

To be honest, I don't know, I've only been here since 1987. All I can say is that oak strip flooring is extremely common in the older homes in my area, and it's equally common in the bay area as well. The stuff that I've had to rip out, overlay, or repair has all been about 1/4" in thickness by 1-1/2" wide and random lengths. It's usually nailed on either side, every 12" or so along it's length. Those floors that are still intact are beautiful, some can be restored, others are a total loss when moisture problems occur.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

1/4"? Yikes!

I've seen lots of 3/8" stuff, but never any 1/4".........unless somebody went wild with a floor sander on the 3/8" stuff.

Then again.....I don't live in the granola state.