+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yard Faucet

Question Yard Faucet

I purchased a home which has a single yard faucet enclosed by a wood box & removable lid. The box is stuffed with old wall insullation. I want to replace the box with something smaller but am not sure the best way to insulate to keep from freezing.

Default Re: Yard Faucet

You can purchase rigid foam insulation that will work better than fiberglass bats and take up less space. It comes in varying thicknesses. If you only need a small amount, you might want to check with an insulation contractor to see if they have some scrap that they'd give you or sell you.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have seen small foam enclosures specifically for this at our local hardware store. I can't remember how they fastened to the faucet, but I believe it was fairly simple and didn't require them to be screwed to the wall or anything like that.

A frost proof anti siphon sill cock would be a good idea if you have easy access to the piping and can do that kind of work. Try to find one at a plumbing supply that is not made in Taiwan or China (vs. the big box). I have replaced a couple of the cheapo versions for folks after only 1 year of use.

If the water line is below the frost line you could dig down to it and replace the faucet with a lawn hydrant. You can purchase them any where from 1 foot bury to 6 foot bury. then fill the hole with dirt. Gravel in the bottom so it can drain when off. Them all you would have is the top of the hydrant showing, no box needed.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    If the water line is below the frost line you could dig down to it and replace the faucet with a lawn hydrant. You can purchase them any where from 1 foot bury to 6 foot bury. then fill the hole with dirt. Gravel in the bottom so it can drain when off. Them all you would have is the top of the hydrant showing, no box needed.
    Jack
    The lawn hydrant would be the best option for sure!! We have them all over the farm.