+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof Insualtion

Default Roof Insualtion

I have a salt box roof on my garage and there are 2 sets/rows of windows in the long roof section one row exposed to the first floor and one row exposed to the second floor. My concern is in the rafter areas that are blocked off by headers for the window openings. The windows are 4 ft square so for every window there are 3 rafter bays between the bottom row and top row of windows that are essentially dead with regards to ventilation. Do you have any suggestions to venting these areas. Also below the bottom row and above the top row there are bays that are only open at one end.
    Attached pics below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4118.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	3153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4122.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	3154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4130.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	3155  

Default Re: Roof Insualtion

Hello, We have done this several times. We have drilled 7/8" holes, cross venting into un-vented bays. You only need a couple. Stay toward the center of the joist when drilling, it does no harm, its just like if you were drilling a hole to run electric wire. One 7/8" worm drive bit does wonders.
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

Eastern MA

Default Re: Roof Insualtion

The amount of ventilation you will get is virtually nil by drilling holes. It most likely isn't needed. Why not install spray foam, have a well insulated building and not need the ventilation anyways.