+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KVAR units

Default KVAR units

Does anyone know anything about the KVAR units. They are supposed to save energy. I've found web sites that talk about and sell them.
    I have a neighbor that just installed one. Hopefully I will soon see if they really work.
    They appear to have some type of whole house surge protection but I can't really tell what. I'm about to install a whole house surge protector and don't want to duplicate and/or interfere with the whole house surge protector if I do install a KVAR unit.
    If anyone has any information please let me know.

Thanks,

RSCH

Default Re: KVAR units

I'm not sold on these units yet. As far as I can tell, they are little more than large capacitors that discharge when there is a sudden surge demand like a motor starting. Although they may have a big affect in industrial settings in controlling peak demand charges, they do not produce electricity or really save electricity they only level out peak demands. Most homes do not have enough motors kicking on and off to realize substantial savings, in my opinion.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I'm not sold on these units yet. As far as I can tell, they are little more than large capacitors that discharge when there is a sudden surge demand like a motor starting. Although they may have a big affect in industrial settings in controlling peak demand charges, they do not produce electricity or really save electricity they only level out peak demands. Most homes do not have enough motors kicking on and off to realize substantial savings, in my opinion.
    Jack
    Yep Jack has said it all. Business is charged by demand. and residential is charged by kilowatt hours. save your money
    Harry

Smile Re: KVAR units

I am a kvar distributor but before I joined the orginization I was more skepticle about this technology then any one else. It sounded to good to be true..... to make a long video short, Rob and I put our videos on You Tube and you can get them at kvar energy savings unit (vacman1353) We tried our best to be as fair and honest as possible. We show bills, meter readings, the whole nine yards if you have any questions I'll be more then happy to answer them. Rich the vacman

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    Yep Jack has said it all. Business is charged by demand. and residential is charged by kilowatt hours. save your money
    Everybody is charged for KWH . Large customers are charged for MWH ( mega-watt/ hours ) with possibly a demand charge depending on the type of load .

Guys I want you to go to YOU TUBE "kavar energy savings unit power" and tell me what's going on. You be the judge! Rich the vacman

Yes the kvar unit will serve as a surge protector but most importantly what happened with your neighbors kavr what are her results.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSCH View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the KVAR units. They are supposed to save energy. I've found web sites that talk about and sell them.
    I have a neighbor that just installed one. Hopefully I will soon see if they really work.
    They appear to have some type of whole house surge protection but I can't really tell what. I'm about to install a whole house surge protector and don't want to duplicate and/or interfere with the whole house surge protector if I do install a KVAR unit.
    If anyone has any information please let me know.

Thanks,

RSCH

Quote Originally Posted by vacman1353 View Post
    Guys I want you to go to YOU TUBE "kavar energy savings unit power" and tell me what's going on. You be the judge! Rich the vacman
    First I saw nothing on You Tube about the unit.
    So let's look at savings. Their site says 8% to 25% savings. The unit consist of capacitors and works on inductive loads only (Their own words). My electric bill averages about $80/mo. savings would be $6.40 to $20/mo. if it was all for inductive loads. Lights, TV's, heating units, water heaters,computers, power supplies, stoves, and ovens are all resistance loads not inductive loads so the savings would be far less. Assuming that half my electric bill is inductive loads, pumps, compressors, and fans, it would take up to 15 years for a 200 amp KVAR unit to pay for it's self.
    In a home with electric heat and high electric bills the percentage would be even less because the biggest percentage of the bill is from the resistive heating units. Turning the thermostat down 2 degrees or lowering the water heater temp would result in more savings with no additional investment.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Geez .... this ongoing issue.

The KVAR or Power Factor Control equipment for years has been and continues to be used in commercial and industrial applications due to the large consumption of power and the types of equipment. As mentioned here already they are only beneficial for induction types of loads such as motors , transformers , lighting ballasts , etc..

The validity for the purpose of this equipment is sound for commercial and industrial applications ... however .... for residential the need for this is really not beneficial based on cost of the equipment versus cost savings.

This technology isn't snake oil but the marketing toward homeowners is.

One thing I find ridiculous about these companies is the "one size fits all "approach of the product. This equipment has to be sized and matched accordingly to what loads exist in each home ..... considering every home and the uses are completely different you can't have a "one size fits all " .

Many of these companies marketing these for homeowners state all sorts of promising numbers that you will save. Funny thing is there is never any valid information backing the claims. Plenty of references to schools , commercial buildings but no residential. There is a considerable difference when it comes to what equipment is in a school and the duration of use compared to the average home .... comparing apples to oranges.

Let's face it .... whenever someone says they have a product that will save you energy and money it's a marketing ploy to get folks to jump on the bandwagon .... for a cost.

I read an interesting article relating to this topic. In the article the typical appliances found in the home were calculated for the monthly cost of operation versus what savings there would be by power factor correction.

Based on $0.10 for each Kw/h the estimate for the month was $88.20 without power factor correction.
    With power factor correction the calculated savings added up to $0.34.

So , doing the math over a course of a year the savings would be $4.20 .... which if I'm not mistaken is less than 1% .... far less than the 8 - 20% being thrown around.
    Of course that will change due to amount of use from some appliances at different times of the year along with how frequent other appliances are used and so on.

http://powerelectronics.com/power_ma...t/705PET23.pdf
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

This topic has been kicked around on various other electrical forums as well . NOBODY other than the people selling them has anything good to say about them . That's good enough for me right now . Stick a fork in it , this thing is done .