+ Reply to Thread

Default durable finish for porch rockers

I have a pair of rockers given to us for our porch. They are not the sort of wood that weathers nicely outdoors. Here in Colorado it is hot and dry and the sun is merciless. I would like to refinish them so they'll hold up at least one summer. I have tried marine paint as well as enamel and polyurethane. Any ideas? They have sentimental value if little actual value and I'd like to save them.

Default Re: durable finish for porch rockers

Do you mean the paint doesn't hold up or the color dosen't hold up? I'm guessing you mean the color. Any pigmented (colored) paint will fade in the sun, the darker it is the more it fades. It's called sub bleaching. Your best bet would be to stay away from dark colors.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

No, the finish itself peels and cracks long before the color has a chance to fade. I know the wood is very dry by now and that may be part of the problem.

Have you been finishing/painting this rocker outside and leaving it there (in the sun perhaps) to dry....... and during the curing time as well? That would be a big no-no and could readily lead to the problems you describe.

Mber, I wounder if the rockers had been used inside and have a coat of wax on then.
    Jack

thanks db, I'll give it a try. I hadn't tried that many coats, it sounds like a good idea.

Another thing you might want to try if you don't want a natural finish is a solid stain. It won't peal or crack but usually needs to be redone every 3 to 5 years.
    Jack