Removing window and filling opening
I need to remove a window, fill in the opening, in order to build a wall of bookcases. The window is 2x4. The window is single-pane-no sashes.
I need some guidance- A contractor wants to charge me $1200.00 to remove the window. I think I can do it myself.
Help! I think this is what I need to do:
1. Remove the mouldings and the sill.
2. Remove the window (there are no sashes) Fill in the opening-outside part is stucco.
3. Fill in the opening with insulation.
4. Reinforce opening with 2x4 studs
5. Working my way into the inside of the window-Chicken wire mesh to spread the stucco-next layer-plywood-next layer insulation-next layer-sheetrock-then tape it-then paint it.
6. Does it sound like I am headed in the right direction?
Your input will be appreciated. Since I also need to close-up a door opening, I am assuming I can do the same procedure as a window. I will be closing a window and putting French Doors in it's place. This is why I do not need to have two doors in the den.
Thanks for your help.