+ Reply to Thread

Default whole house surge protector

I read the article on the need for whole house surge protection, but it doesn't say much about where to look for this type of device. I would like to find some and compare the specs.

Thanks,

RSCH

Default Re: whole house surge protector

Check the yellow pages for electrical supply houses and call them for the price of the unit or call electrical contractors for the installed price.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Mnay home centers have them as well...but they usually only carry the major brands. I got one for my GE panel about two months ago.

They usually cost about 50 to 75 dollars, and charge about 200 to install. Intermatic makes a very good one.
    R.J. Hartsoe,
    Master Electrician

The one Intermatic unit I looked at was $125. It "clamped" at 330 Volts and "absorbed" 60,000 amps per leg. What I've been reading is that the faster is shuts off the surge the better. Some units "clamp" at 400-500 volts.
    Should I be looking at joules or amps when comparing?
    Is a smaller unit, in the $59-$70 range, just as effective?
    Is it advisable to install these units one's self? The directions are pretty straight forward!

Thanks,

RSCH

You want the lowest clamp voltage that you can find . Also , the highest Joules and fastest response time . Cheaper is usually NOT better with surge protection .

I figured the lower clamping voltage the better. So if the unit doesn't show Joules I should NOT use it even if if shows Amps?

Yes, definately... any electrical device or surge protection device that dose not show the number or amount of joules is not advisible to use... If the company is not willing to disclose how much protection you will be reciving from this product, then I would not use it...

As far as the home istallation, then user be-ware. Any time one insttalls electrical anything then YOU as the homeowner/renter/etc. are held responsible... What I mean is this, if a licensed electrican does the work, and it blows or burns then he is responsible..if you do the work and your house burns down then you are resposible..... just some friendly advise from someone who learned the lesson the hard-way...lol )

Quote Originally Posted by sparky5131469 View Post

As far as the home istallation, then user be-ware. Any time one insttalls electrical anything then YOU as the homeowner/renter/etc. are held responsible... What I mean is this, if a licensed electrican does the work, and it blows or burns then he is responsible..if you do the work and your house burns down then you are resposible..... just some friendly advise from someone who learned the lesson the hard-way...lol )
    If the municipality you reside in allows residents to obtain an electrical permit and are allowed to perform the work themselves with an inspection .... then this would be a moot point .... correct?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree and that would go for anything plumbing ,structural included.
    If you are allowed to do the work with a permit and inspection there should be no problem , that's the point of inspections.