+ Reply to Thread

Default Need help identifying tile (60's pink bathroom)

I recently purchased a home built in 1961. Believe it or not, I love the pink bathroom, but, sadly, need to remove tiles in order to repair water damage behind them. I had someone come out and give me an estimate. He told me I would need to try to find replacements. Seems that I will get nowhere until I identify the manufacturer, etc. I have 2 spares, found in the basement. They are 4.25" x 4.25", pink (as I mentioned) and, on the back, they are stamped "AMERICAN 18" on one and "AMERICAN 19" on the other, near the top, "MADE IN USA" near the bottom, and along the left side, "PAT APL'D FOR". In the middle of each tile, there's an ink stamp that I can't make out. Looks like maybe an "A", then two sets of letters or numbers (very smudged).

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

-Susan

Smile Re: Need help identifying tile (60's pink bathroom)

Believe it or not, I just removed all of the 1960s pink tile from my bathroom last week! I called it my Barbie bath because the whole thing was pink & lavendar...lavender tub, sink, ceramic fixtures, everything! Unfortunately, the toilet was cracked and not re-usable. I had the contractor save everything he possibly could because I am planning on putting it on ebay. I'll check the tiles & let you know. I also think I have pictures I could email. How many tiles do you need?

I'll be so excited if you can use them! My Barbie bath will live on!
    Jill

Default Re: Need help identifying tile (60's pink bathroom)

Hi Jill,

I was told I should try to get somewhere between 40 and 50! That would be in the event of a worst case scenario, where, when he starts taking tile off, the damage behind it would be excessive and, to top it off, all the tiles he tries to remove break! Don't think that will happen, but I will try to get as close to those numbers as possible...

I will keep my fingers crossed that we have a match!

Thanks!
    -Susan

p.s. Do you have any idea when your bathroom was constructed? Is it anywhere around the time mine was (1961)?

Hi again.
    I'm new to this & the last message I tried to send you disappeared, so I'll try again...I was out of town last week & when I returned, the dumpster had been removed from my house. The contractor saved the lilac tub, sink, soap, towel bars, etc. But he told me that the tiles either came off with cement on the backs, or had cracked. I'm so sorry. I do know that they were 4.25X4.25 and had American on the back. I would assume this means American Olean. You may be able to find out more info by getting in touch with them. I know they were special order, as was the lilac tub, etc. I still have a tiny piece of the floor tile which is the same color, if you'd like me to send it to you, just to see if we're talking about the same color. It seems likely, since my bath was done in 1963.Again, I'm so sorry. I think I was probably as excited as you were, and couldn't wait to get home to see if they came off ok. Good luck & let me know if you want me to send the small tile
    Jill

Hi,
    I am a designer and i deal with this a lot.
    Jill is most likely correct about it being American Olean tile, in my expereiance, the pink tile usually is manufactured by them.
    That compeany is owned by Dal tile corp. so if you go onto their website the American Olean pops up along side, clcik on it to view your options. This website will also direct you to the closet showroom in your area.

www.daltileproducts.com

Hope this helps, and good luck

Hi Jill,

I tried sending you a private message, but I didn't hear back, so maybe you didn't get it.

I would like a piece of your pink tile if you still have it. A couple of places ****** will identify old tile if I send them a piece, but I only have 2 spare tiles and they are whole and in perfect condition, so I don't want to part with them!

Email me (shollar@mac.com) and I can give you my address!

Thanks,
    Susan