+ Reply to Thread

Default Cabinet Toe Kick Woes

So I recently installed new kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, they don't fit the footprint of the old cabinets. The linoleum floor is about 1 1/2" short of the cabinets and I can't place the toe kick on top of the linoleum without building out. The old cabinets also had a rounded end cabinet. My new rounded end doesn't even come close to the old footprint and now there is a large space of bare floor. Take a look at my attached photos and you'll see what I mean.

Should I build out my toe kick to cover the linoleum? What about the rounded corner? That toe kick was built in. Should I build out a new rounded toe kick? How would I curve the wood? Then there's the case of the large gap in the back. I've no idea what to do there. The linoleum floor is relatively new and I would rather not replace it if I don't have to. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	1200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	1201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	1202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor4.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	1203  

Default Re: Cabinet Toe Kick Woes

Building out the toe kick 1" will pretty much defeats the purpose of the toe kick. If you have extra of the flooring you could patch the areas. It takes a little patience and skill. You could put spacers behind the cabinets and move them out depending on the counter top you have but you would still have to patch the flooring at the back of the rounded part. If it were me I would install the cabinets properly and replace the flooring.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

By the way, welcome to the wonderful world of remodeling.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I also suggest you replace the linoleum but since you seem to be reluctant to do that I would go a head and build out the toe kick with a piece of flexible plywood and quarter round. You can make both bend by cutting small channels in the back of the piece and soak it to make it pliable.

get the biggest quarter round you can to ease the transition between the floor and the build out.

Ogee trim could also be used but bending it might be a little trickier.

If you want to keep the integrity of the the look how about painting the gap? It would be the easiest and cheapest solution. I just thought of it.
    Debby in Oklahoma