+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exterior paint - one coat or two?

Hello!

I have received two bids for painting the exterior of my house: asbestos cement siding with wood trim. The siding is currently a medium blue, and will be painted a light gray. The wood trim is currently white and will be painted white; it is flaking and peeling pretty badly, and needs to be sc****d and sanded.

Painter #1 has proposed one coat of Sherwin Williams Duration paint on the wood trim (no primer), and one coat of Sherwin Williams SuperPaint on the siding, at a cost of $2500.

Painter #2 has proposed primer and two coats of Sherwin Williams "premium house paint" at a cost of $3000.

The one-coat painter has said he will not leave unless we're satisfied with how it looks, and will put an extra coat on any spots where it's needed. However, I am concerned that even though one coat may *look* fine, it may have durability issues down the road.

Is it worth the extra $500 to have two coats of paint? Or is one coat sufficient? We plan to sell our house within the next 2 to 5 years, and do not want to paint or touch up again before selling.

Thanks so much to anyone who can provide some advice!

Default Re: Exterior paint - one coat or two?

In my opinion go with number 2 .... if you go with number 1 likely won't last the 2-5 years.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Ditto! Priming of bare components and two coats of paint are better than a single coat of paint, particularly when changing colors as you are.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ditto!

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks so much for your replies! Sounds like it's worth the $500 for the extra coat...I don't want to have to do this again! I really appreciate the advice!

Oh yeah, painter two all the way. I know, I live in Colorado.

I know, I live in Colorado.
    Yeah soooo ...... ????
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Smile Re: Exterior paint - one coat or two?

2 coats is better because the paint will absorb into the wood a fair amount.

Unhappy Re: Exterior paint - one coat or two?

I need some help on paints for out side of house.
    I have used Sherman Williams and Glidden.
    But after 1 summer on Glidden the paint is starting to peel.
    It was sc****d ,washed, primed, and painted 1 coat. We used a oil base both times.
    And we did it our self.
    This house is 108 years old. Wood is cracked in some areas. We live in TX.
    Should we be using a special paint because of the age of the house.
    I can remember my father having this house painted with Sherman Williams and it lasting 7 years.
    Our they not making paint to last long theses days??????
    What should we do????
    P.S.
    This house has always used oil base.
    One person told us to use water base.
    Can you put that on a house that had oil all its life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    I need some help on paints for out side of house.
    I have used Sherman Williams and Glidden.
    But after 1 summer on Glidden the paint is starting to peel.
    It was sc****d ,washed, primed, and painted 1 coat. We used a oil base both times.
    And we did it our self.
    This house is 108 years old. Wood is cracked in some areas. We live in TX.
    Should we be using a special paint because of the age of the house.
    I can remember my father having this house painted with Sherman Williams and it lasting 7 years.
    Our they not making paint to last long theses days??????
    What should we do????
    P.S.
    This house has always used oil base.
    One person told us to use water base.
    Can you put that on a house that had oil all its life.
    You can make some asumptions about a 108 year old house. Unless it has been remodeled over the years, the walls have virtually no insulation in them. Also, there is nothing on the inside walls which constitutes a vapor barrier. This means that any moisture being generated inside the house ( cooking, showering, breathing of humans, washing) is being passed through the walls to the the outer walls. Years of coating with oil paint on the exterior constitutes an exterior vapor barrier. Vapor trapped within the walls will get out by popping the paint on the exterior. Short of stripping the entire surface, I would scrap the exterior as best I could, spot prime the bared wood with an oil based primer and then top coat with an acrylic house paint.

To answer your question: yes you can go over oil paint with acrylic provided the surface has been properly prepared. You should power wash the exterior to remove the paint oxide that often forms on weathered oil paint. Acrylics do not adhere well to chaulky oil paint. A general coat of acrylic primer might be advised , especially if you are dramatically changing the color or the old paint has a glossy finish.