+ Reply to Thread

Default remove wallpaper from plaster or paint over?

Our house was built in 1950 and has plaster walls. Some of them have wallpaper that I'd like to remove/paint. I know that some of the walls have paint under the wallpaper, which I'm sure is lead based paint. I want to paint the walls, so my question is do I paint over the wallpaper or try to remove it? I'm worried about lead paint exposure (I have a child). Can you effectively remove wallpaper from plaster or will it damage the wall? If I paint over it what would be the best way to get a good finish? Help!

Default Re: remove wallpaper from plaster or paint over?

We removed the wallpaper from the walls in one bedroom. It took a lot of water, but minimal damage to the plaster. You may want to do it while your child is away for a short while, and get the wall covered with new primer/paint. Use a mask, even though they are uncomfortable.

On plaster walls, the easiest way to remove wall paper is to rent a steamer. Plaster is very hardy.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

by all means remove it, eventually it will fail and then your paint job would suffer if painted over it.
    Debby in Oklahoma