+ Reply to Thread

Default Organic Gardening Tips

I've heard that planting certain things, and that certain household foods and drink can be used as effectively as synthetic pest repellents. For example, beer attracts and exterminates slugs. Any other such tips?

And hot sauce repels deer and rabbits?
    Last edited by Insert Clever Handle Here; 06-17-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Add new discovery...

Default Re: Organic Gardening Tips

I plant mari****s between my tomatoes to keep the bugs off of them. As a rule, it works. On those occasions that I haven't planted mari****s and I HAVE gotten bugs on my tomatoes and other plants, I gather as many of the pests as I can find, crush them and cover them with water and let them soak for a day or two. I then strain them out and put the remaining liquid in a spray bottle and mist my plants with it. This seems to repel the bugs. Of course, if you have more than one species of insect attacking, you should gather, crush and soak each species separately. I'm not one for putting chemicals and/or insecticides on something I'm going to eat eventually...a few bug guts never hurt anybody, right?

Here are a few from Niall Edworthy's The Curious Gardener's Almanac: Centuries of Practical Garden Wisdom:

Spraying a tobacco solution onto plants will repel aphids and caterpillars

Slugs also hate peppermint and elder

Rags soaked in a tar will repel cats and rats in city gardens

Rabbits also hate onions

Nematodes are another way to control slugs

A watering can of hot, salty water works as a weed killer. So does a mixture of salt and ashes

Crushed laurel leaves are deadly to most small insects

And, see this post at The Hardware Aisle
    Last edited by Moderator; 06-18-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Jerry Baker used to do specials for PBS fund raisers on using home products in the garden. For a general purpose insect garden repellent, he would recommend a mixture of a cup each ammonia and lemon dishwashing detergent and spray using a 20 gallon hose sprayer.

I have used a lot of his ideas and they do work, but sometime they are not the cheapest solution. One example was a can of beer and a 2 liter bottle of soda. The soda provides sugar. I use a 1/4 cup of sugar in 2 quarts of water instead. This is to increase the "life" in the soil.

His books are available at most booksellers.