+ Reply to Thread

Default insulating hot windows

I have three windows on one side of my masterbedroom that allow too much heat to enter the room.What or how can I best cut the heat and not lose the view?

Default Re: insulating hot windows

Awnings perhaps?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I had consider awnings but they are very tacky looking.I was thinking on the order of some type of screening as there are no screens on these windows.Something that would actually cut back on the heat.I would appreciate some input.The windows are not designed for aluminum framed screens to snap into place.Perhaps I am going to be at a loss on outside opinions without you guys be able to see the actual window.

Sun screens like these http://www.aaasuncontrol.com/sunscreens.htm or 3M window film http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/...&WT.mc_id=1967

In you case the 3M window film may be the best choice.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

A screen can be placed over a window, whether the window was originally designed for one or not. Windows in direct sun will benefit from shade screens, which block more light, but still allow some airflow and viewing. Since the sun likely is only on these windows for a period of time during the day, a roll-up blind such as a bamboo screen or a plastic equivalent on the exterior will also go a long way to cut heat transfer through the window. The blinds only need to be down during direct sun and can be raised when the sun passes or shifts position enough to relive the thermal stress on the window. This is a method that I use on my own home and there is a marked difference in temps when the blinds are in use.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hey Spruce Thanks I was making a project harder than necessary.The little lady thought that was a great ideah!

Quote Originally Posted by tgprestwood View Post
    Hey Spruce Thanks I was making a project harder than necessary.The little lady thought that was a great ideah!
    I think we all tend to do that. Sometimes the simplest answers are the most elusive. I've learned to come and ask all my TOH buddies for advice when the obvious eludes me.

Back on the bamboo screen for a moment, the further from the window you can mount the screen, the better the thermal break. This isn't a necessity, of course, but it does help considerably. On my kitchen windows where there is no over hang the blinds are mounted to the wall, over the window and it's of great benefit. On the side of the house where there is an eave, the blinds are mounted about a foot from the wall and this allows them to stop the direct sun AND provide a space for airflow to blow away any heat accumulation. Because the wind invariably tends to blow in these parts, I've also attached the bottom of the blind to the wall to keep it from whipping in the wind. I've had the same white plastic blind up for over two years now. Previous attempts to tether the blinds with cords or bungies or not at all have ended up with the blinds self destructing in less than a year.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!