+ Reply to Thread

Default House water main replacement questions

What is the best way to connect from the water meter to the new water main line (compression.threaded,PVC coupling etc.)? For the water main pipeing i will be using 3/4" PVC schedule 40.

I have noticed water main replacements in houses near me where they run PVC up to the house then reduce down to 1/2" rigid copper pipeing to all fixtures ,and to the hot water heater hot and cold sides.

Is it advisable to run 3/4" pipeing throughout,or is it an overkill/causing more harm than good? meaning does the reduction from 3/4" to 1/2" reduce the water psi so it puts less stress on the supply valves and fixtures in the house?

Thanks to all replys!

Default Re: House water main replacement questions

By reducing from 3/4" to 1/2" increases the pressure slightly, but reduces the volume of water that is deliveried to the fixtures. I would run a 3/4" cold main line down the center of the house and from that run 1/2" lines to feed each of the fixtures. Also, run the 3/4" cold all the way to the water heater for supply. Also, from the water heater a 3/4" hot water line main line and then feed 1/2" lines to each of the fixtures.

Also, for cost you should run PEX. Also, use threaded MIP or FIP adaptors for the transition fittings from PVC outside the house to PEX inside (or under) the house. And from the cooper water main and meter to the PVC.

And finally about pressure. Your house pressure should be between 35-60 psi. you can add a tee off the 3/4" main at the beginning to find out what the house main supply is. If needed you can then add a PRV or a pressure reducing valve to get it within range.

Process of elimination. Good luck.

Default Re: House water main replacement questions

By reducing from 3/4" to 1/2" increases the pressure slightly, but reduces the volume of water that is deliveried to the fixtures. I would run a 3/4" cold main line down the center of the house and from that run 1/2" lines to feed each of the fixtures. Also, run the 3/4" cold all the way to the water heater for supply. Also, from the water heater a 3/4" hot water line main line and then feed 1/2" lines to each of the fixtures
    Yep .... totally agree with this.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush