+ Reply to Thread

Question Cold Air Return connection?

Just had my heating vents cleaned in my house and the man cleaning the vents told me my cold air return vents (there are 4 in the house) are on the floor open directly into my crawl space and are not connected to my 21 year old Comfortmaker oil heater. Is this why our 50 year old house is so cold and dusty in the winter? Who do I contact to have the vents directed to the heater and connected? Was this a common practice in the Northwest in the 50's. We live in Seattle,WA.
    Thanks for any information on this matter...

Default Re: Cold Air Return connection?

Contact a heating and air conditioning contractor. Unless your craw space is completely seal you are drawing outside air into the system along with dust. I would think that proper duct work should significantly cut you heating and a/c costs also.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The only way into the house crawl space is through the floor of what is now a bedroom, formally a TV room. In a sense, the crawl space is only assessable from within the house, however it is completely dry but dusty down there, but there is no other way under the home! Is this why they didn't do duct work?
    Thanks for your reply.

My guess would be just stupidity or laziness. Even though there is no external access I doubt the foundation is completely sealed and the ground under the house a a rather large thermal mass. The moving air will pick up moisture, dust, and cold. If your hany at all you could install flexable ducts yourself.
    Jack

I am pretty handy and not afraid to crawl around. However, once I connect flexible ducts to the cold air return, where will it be connected to? Will I reroute each cold air duct to the nearest heating duct? Or is there a more scientific method?
    Thanks again,
    marie jules

You run all the cold air ducts to the return opening on the furnace probably a dig hole in the floor under or by the furnace. It usually feeds the cold air, on updraft furnaces, into the furnace at the bottom and the hot air comes out the top . It may require buying a duct box or you can construct one out of Fiber duct that you can get at most home centers or pluming and heating stores.

</IMG>
    Picture ofFlexible duct, Building box with Fiber ductwith One connector for each duct in collection
    box

Cold air return on
    Furnace

You'll also need foil tape (not duck or duct tape), Hope this helps.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-12-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Just to add to Jack's suggestion...
    You don't want to "choke" the furnace with too small a return line, so make the main return trunk the same size as the main supply trunk and use the flexible lines to branch out to each return register.

Big box stores in our area carry the different size rectangular ducts in two pieces that are snapped together. Be very careful handling and assembling, it is very easy to slice up your fingers on the metal. As Jack suggested, tape all seams.

Thanks Jack!

marie jules

Lay down a tight fitting plastic vapor barrier, 4 mil, on the
    crawl space floor, and it will cut down on dampness and dust
    remarkably.