+ Reply to Thread
    sellerman100 Guest

Default Sump Pump - follow up to waterproofing question

I've researched on-line about sump pumps and how they operate, but am still a bit confused. I have a pretty significant water problem due to seepage in my basement, will installing a sump pump help with that at all, or no, because the problem is more 'all over' and not localized to one area of the basement? I guess I don't understand whether a sump pump will pump out the ground-based water before it floods my basement, or if it has to be water that has actually breached the basement floor and already flooded the area. Thanks.

Default Re: Sump Pump - follow up to waterproofing question

A sump pump is typically installed in a pit that has a plastic liner. In new installations, usually there is perforated pipe installed under the stone before a basement slab is poured, with the perf pipe terminating into the sump pit. This allows water that is under the slab to easily flow to the sum pit via the pipe.

In existing installations, either a channel is cut into the perimeter of the slab which runs to the pit or a section of the floor is cut out, dirt removed and the perf pipe is installed and run to the pit, the pipe is covered over with stone and then cemented over.

Just putting in a sump pit may not work (and on the other hand, it might work), since the water may still come up through the slab rather than finding its way through the stone under the slab to the pit. You would also need to make some holes in the plastic liner to allow the water to enter. It depends on how much stone is under the slab, how the water presently runs under the slab, how the water is getting up through the slab, etc.

I am sure others will add additional info I have glossed over or forgot.

Default Re: Sump Pump - follow up to waterproofing question

Generally sump wells will work for the entire basement, however it sometimes takes time for the water to cut paths to the well and if you have water entering the block from higher up it may be necessary to drill holes in the lowest block and add a channel to direct it to the well or install a french drain around the foundation. I believe I would start with a sump well it's about the easiest to install.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb