+ Reply to Thread

Default Have no ducts, but need AC on 2nd floor

My house came with ceiling radiant heat and no air ducts for air conditioning. We want to have a unit that can cool and heat the entire second floor. Any suggestions? I heard about systems that can be installed in an attic space. Any problems with those systems? I can't find much information on them. We were able to install a system for the 1st floor and addition, but my HVAC guy could not find an easy route for the ducts to go from the 1st floor to second floor. Thank you for any advice.

Default Re: Have no ducts, but need AC on 2nd floor

A heating/AC system that lives in the attic is very common here in the South . No problems .

Agree with djohns that a second floor a/c system should be easy enough to provide. If the second floor ceiling also has radiant heat, then that may limit what you can do. Otherwise, there are several options available to you.

Contact a professional HVAC contractor, and have them perform a load calculation for the space to be cooled and make recommendations on how to achieve the results. Don't know who to call? Ask friends, co-workers, family, church members, neighbors who they recommend. Check with local Better Business Bureau chapter. Ask questions. Get it in writing.

All the best, Irishmist
    Live your life as an EXCLAMATION; not an explanation!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few more questions. Is it possible to disconnect the radiant heat in the ceiling and get a heating/cooling system w ducts for the attic? I have no idea how thick those heating cable/wires are in the ceiling. How much maintenance do these attic systems require? and How often should it be inspected? I'll start asking my neighbors for HVAC pros. Thanks!!

I have designed and installed air distribution systems in areas above a radiant ceiling system. This is not done in conjunction with the radiant heating, but when it is eliminated and 'abandoned in place,' I can then work around it in the placement of my registers. The cable is usually embedded in the drywall or plaster of the ceiling.

If the maintenance you are asking about is for the attic hvac system, then it would require no more or no less than any other system, regardless of location. What I would suggest is making sure the filter is easily accessible so that it will be changed with regular frequency. (Human nature dictates that if it is not easy to get to, it won't get changed ).

Depending on where the equipment is located be sure that there is an auxiliary drain pan installed beneath the equipment so a leak does not damage the finished space below. (This is a code requirement in most areas).

All the best, Irishmist
    Live your life as an EXCLAMATION; not an explanation!