+ Reply to Thread

Question Hurricane Safety

The Red Cross has an extensive Hurricane Safety Guide, but do you have any tips you can share, from personal experience?

It's that time of year again, and with a tornado having hit Bay Ridge (Brooklyn) a few days ago, I'd like to bank all the tips I can this season!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Moderator; 08-13-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Red face Re: Hurricane Safety

There was a big storm in my neighborhood last Friday night, and my entire block blacked out. We, of course, have bought countless flashlights, lanterns, etc. Could we find any of them in the dark, arriving home after midnight. Of course not.

I'll give myself a tip: keep portable light sources in accessible, easy-to-remember places, near every entry, so they can be easily found in these kinds of situations.

Side note: My mom's cheesy (or so I thought), QVC-bought solar pathway lights were the ONLY light source in our block. Solar-powered landscaping lights= a good idea if you're in a power-outage prone neighborhood!

Default Re: Hurricane Safety

Dwarf covered most of the essentials , but I'll add a few items in case you ride it out . First of all , make as much ice as you can in your freezer . Bottled water works well , as you can thaw it out and drink it as needed . Stock up on toilet tissue . You can never have enough . Refill any nescessary prescriptions . If you have pets , make sure you have plenty of food and any meds for them as well . Make sure you have PLENTY of drinking water and fill a bathtub to use to flush toilets if your water supply is cut off . Candles and MATCHES , a car charger for your cell phone , board games and a deck of cards . Duct tape , several cheap nylon tarps , a hammer and roofing nails in case emergency repairs are needed .

One thing that I have found extremely useful is having a crank type LED flashlight. I keep one in each truck. It had always worked out that just when I needed my flashlight the batteries would be dead, but not any longer! Just turn the crank a few times and it lights up!

Updated to add....
    The flashlight I have has a blinker setting that is irritating so you may want to look for a version without it. It has a click button control and when you click once it comes on normally, next click it goes off, next click it blinks, next click it goes off. I guess the blinking function would be useful if you are stuck by the side of the road as an emergency flasher, but when just using it as a normal flashlight it is irritating to have to click it past the blink setting every time.
    Last edited by bp21901; 08-27-2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: additional info on crank flashlight

I was skeptical of those things but one of my co workers said that he tried one and likes it . I guess I'll try one as well .
    Last edited by djohns; 08-24-2007 at 07:10 PM.