+ Reply to Thread
    sellerman100 Guest

Question Basement Waterproofing

I have a 90 year old home that has severe water leakage problems in the basement. The water is coming in not only at the joint where the wall and floor meet, but also through the floor. The floor was poured in about 16 equal slabs that were then grouted together with concrete....through the years, the seal has weakened and now water is able to come in. My question is this: would an interior drain tile system with a sump pump be a better approach, or would an exterior trench with drain tile be more effective? The exterior trench estimate I received is about 1/3 of the interior system estimates and is much more attractive to me, but I don't want to invest in something that won't take care of the water problem.

Default Re: Basement Waterproofing

I don't think there is a way to tell for sure before hand. You could have water coming in from underneath due to a high water table or it could be leaking through the walls from hydrostatic pressure on the walls. Or it could be a combination of the two.

I would start from the outside, though. I am surprised the outside is less expensive than the inside solution.