+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Rough estimate for new basement. please help

I am in the design phase of building a new home and I was wondering about a very rough estimate for a excavation, basement walls, and basement slab for 2600 sq. ft. and a 4 car garage. The soil is easy to dig. Lot slopes from right to left about 6 to 8 feet in the length of the house for a walkout. Does anyone know about how much that would be? 20k? 30k? 40k? Any input would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Rough estimate for new basement. please help

Is the basement 2600 sq ft or is that the sq ft of a 2 or 3 story home? The basement isn't under the garage is it?

For an unfinished basement with block walls, in our area $28 / sq ft is in the ballpark. That doesn't include any utilities, just the digging, block work and concrete slab (drain under slab to a crock pit included). It may have included the steel beam and posts for building support, I cant remember if that was included or part of another billing cycle. Whether you have the ability to spread the dirt on site or would have to have it trucked away would also affect your cost.

I don't know what poured concrete walls would be for comparison.

2600 sq ft 1 story. no basement under the garage. Poured walls. At $28 per foot that would be 72k. That seems a quite steep to me in the midwest where a new house averages less than $90 per square foot for a finished house with a lot included. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by valupak View Post
    2600 sq ft 1 story. no basement under the garage. Poured walls. At $28 per foot that would be 72k. That seems a quite steep to me in the midwest where a new house averages less than $90 per square foot for a finished house with a lot included. Thanks for the reply.
    ***, $90 / ft^2 for a finished house including the lot!!!

You can multiply that by 1.5 in this area and that would not include the lot which for a 1/4 acre would run near $100k!

Sounds like you need to get some prices from those closer to your locale to get a better idea of pricing. Our east coast prices are a little "inflated" by comparison.

90 per square foot is an accurate estimate for a house that is not totally custom. In omaha, NE where the house is going to be built, a 2 story, 3000 sq ft house with a full basement, square footage not counting the basement, is between 250k and 300k. I just called around to some contractors and their best guess without seeing the house plans, calculated by linear feet of wall and square footage of garage slab and basement slab is around 35-40k for a walkout.

no. the math is correct. 2600 sq ft 1st floor. 5200 with basement.