+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tonge and Groove Porch in the elements

I have a tongue and groove wood porch that is in Cleveland, Ohio. It is covered, but rain and snow do sometimes land on the porch. There is no subfloor so this is a real problem in the winter. Cold air comes into our basement through the porch. If I hose down the porch for spring cleaning, water comes through the boards and into the basement.

What is the best way to fix this issue?

I was thinking of either replacing the boards with the trex material, but not sure if I need a subfloor down first. If not, how do I fix the loss of heat and moisture into the basement.

I was also thinking of ripping up the wood and building a form and pouring concrete.

What would be the proper way to ensure that our basement will not get cold and to keep the moisture out?

Default Re: Tonge and Groove Porch in the elements

Two questions.
    1. Does the basement run under the porch?
    2. Do you have enough room to raise the porch deck about an inch and 3/4?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yes, the basement does run under it. That is my big issue. If it did not, no big deal. I would just replace boards with trex material and be done. But it lets moisture through and cold air through into the basement below.

I am sure that the proper carpenter could put down 3/4" plywood or backer board and then frame it in nice.

What ideas do you have if that is possible?

Remove the decking and put down " plywood,Weather Guard/Ice Guard on the plywood, nail down furring strips, leaving path way for runoff, then the Trex. Insulate the underside. The weather guard will keep water from entering, the insulation can then do it's job. Weather Guard is a self sticking roofing underlayment to protect against ice dams and it self seals around any nails run through it. If you floor is 3/4" thick and the joists are 16"on center you can use "plywood, because you would not be putting any weight directly on it, then " X 4" furring strips. Then the Trex that would raise the floor " plus the thickness of the Trex. If you can't handle that rise the joists can be rabbited out and " strips of plywood installed between and even with the top of the joists, the weather guard and nail the Trex directly to the joists.
    Jack

You might even consider using pressure treated plywood as an added measure for preventing issues of rot.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I forgot to mention that if you rabbit the plywood level with the joists you will need to put a 1/8" strip on top of the Weather-guard at the joists to allow a path for water flow and escape from under the Trex.
    Jack

What if I used the cement backer board instead of plywood?

I know that is recommended under tile for stability and moisture resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by jdnidle21 View Post
    What if I used the cement backer board instead of plywood?

I know that is recommended under tile for stability and moisture resistance?
    Size is one problem, I've only seem it in 3' X5'. Then you have to deal with getting the joints sealed and nails driven through it for the Trex wouldn't be sealed. Not sure how expansion and contraction in an outdorr location would affect it.
    Jack

I wanted to say thank you to you Jack for spending the time to reply to me.

I am not sure what I am going to do with this porch. I do like your idea though. So thank you for the response and again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

You are quite welcome.
    Jack