+ Reply to Thread

Thread: which is best?

Smile which is best?

Ok this ihas been an on going battle for years between my wife and myself.
    I say we should open windows from the top and bottom for the best circulation and cooling.

Thoughts?

Default Re: which is best?

Opening two windows in the same location is not as good as two windows on opposite sides of the room and utilizing cross ventilation. The more windows the better, and if you were to put a fan in one or two of those windows you'll seriously increase your ventilation.

I've got 30" box fans that I set into the window opening to draw air into the house. This not only brings in fresh cooler air, it "pressurizes" the house, which helps to force out the trapped hot air. Makes a big difference in our cooling bills by not having to use the AC. Another thing that helps to circulate and change the air is to run the fan (that's fan only ) on the HVAC unit.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

HHHMMMMMMM....but do you place the 30" box fan in the lower part of the window or upper part???!!!

I think if you have the fan exhausting out the sunny side of the house, place it in the upper part of the window and open the lower part of a window on the opposite, shaded side of the house.

If you have the fan blowing in on the shaded side of the house it would go in the lower part of the window and you open the upper part of the window on the sunny side of the house to allow the hot air to exit.

Or.....close all the windows and turn on the AC!

Quote Originally Posted by YukSchmuk View Post
    HHHMMMMMMM....but do you place the 30" box fan in the lower part of the window or upper part???!!!
    From a safety stand point, the lower window would be better and easier. From a ventilation stand point, it doesn't matter considering that you're pressurizing the house, the stale hot air is going to circulate and be forced out regardless of the window the fan is in.

Quote Originally Posted by YukSchmuk View Post
    Or.....close all the windows and turn on the AC!
    What's your address, I've got some utility bills to send your way.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree - for ventilation is doesn't really matter if it's open at the top or bottom. The more open area you have, the more outside air you'll have coming in.\

Good luck!

with my double hung windows I tend to open the top & bottom especially if there isn't much of a breeeze. I assume warm air will exhaust and fresh will come in. When there is a decent breeze I just open the bottom usually out of lazyness. Any open window is a help & I doubt it matters a lot.

Do whatever the wife says. She's always right.
    HTH

Dave