+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Information

I have a 16" x 20" steel building with 4 windows, 4 foot door and the walls are on 24' centers. I would like to know how insulation it would take. What kind would be best and the cheapest I can use for the walls and ceiling.

Default Re: Need Information

Insulation is based on square footage, take the width times the height of each wall and add them up. Gable end are half the width times the height (the triangular area only, the rectangular portion of wall is calculated at standard width times height ). If you're doing ceilings, the same formula applies.

Fiberglass batts come in different thicknesses, based on what the wall or area being insulated was framed with. The thickness of that insulation will determine it's R value - or insulative value.

Cellulose insulation requires a wall cavity or undisturbed attic space.

Spray foam will have a higher R value at thinner thicknesses than the other two, once the foam is cured in place it really does need to be covered to prevent damage and degradation from light. Benefits of foam are that it's not susceptible to moisture problems and has better sound deadening abilities.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Need Information

Thank you very much