+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Replacing Entry Door?

I swear, the hits just keep coming. Just bought a home and realized while changing the locks on the front door, the holes were not cut very clean, resulting in a 1/16 hole above the deadbolt, an unevening screwed lock (if you look at the side of the door where the lock ejects and retracts, it looks like it's on a 70 degree angle, and very tough key turn. What's worse is the metal door jamb has seen better days and the wood behind it has been so beaten that I'm surprised the screws still hold the plates in.

So, I thought of getting a new door. Home Depot has a great deal on a 36x80 door. Problem is, my door is 34 3/4 x 78 1/4. Any ideas on what I can do to fix my current door? Did I possibly measure the door wrong (I'm being told that entry doors are either 32" or 36" wide)?

Thanks,

Rob
    Last edited by robear00; 06-11-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Default Re: Replacing Entry Door?

Why not remove the current lock and splice a repair (Dutchman) in the door and the door jamb and replace with a new lock in a different location on the door. Six inches up or down isn't going to make any difference at all. The patch will fill and paint very nicely.

When installing a new lock, don't forget to remove the interior casing and install a solid wood block to beef up the door jamb to hold the deadbolt under stress (break-in). If you're replacing a spongy jamb, this is easy to do.

You could patch the door and spend a lot of time on it, only to have a patched up front door. If I was doing it on my home, I'd go to HD and pick up the new door, which you indicated was not too expensive.

Yes, the door frame was about an inch and a quarter smaller than the door but you can take a circular saw to the new door and cut it to size. Just remember to cut off both sides of the door so you don't run out of stile on the door. You should have room. If you set your saw at just a little bit of an angle (cuts about 1/8" in 2"), your cut will also cut a bevel on the edge of the door, so it won't be hinge bound and will close nicely. You'll have to chisel the hinges into the new door and cut new lock holes but since you're asking for advice, I'll assume you're up to the job!

You'll probably also have to cut the bottom of the door off, for height too. Before you do it, take a framing square and put it in the hinge corner of the jamb, where the jamb side and head meet. You want to make sure the jamb is square. If not, you'll either have to move the hinge side of the jamb up or down to achieve this. I wouldn't recommend it since it'll just make the door jamb more sloppy and you'll have to go through more work to get it solid. I'd just cut the top of the door to match the jamb if it's a problem.

If the jamb is square, you're good to go. Now you can use the old door as a pattern for cutting off the bottom of the new door. Make sure the fit at the bottom of the old door, is where you want it before using the door as a pattern though.

Shouldn't be too bad a job and you'll have a nice new door instead of a patched one. If you're going to put in the effort, may as well have something worthwhile when you're done.

Good Luck.

This posts is*very*informative.*Thank you!