+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tamper-resistant outlets

Today I received my monthly bill from Pennsylvania Power and Light.
    The flyer they always include entitled "Connect" ran a story about tamper-resistant outlets. It stated "Tamper-resistant outlets have been so effective in preventing injuries that the 2008 NEC requires their instillation in all new homes".
    Now that is one that slipped by me and more that a few COs as well.
    Can anyone track that in the 08 NEC?

Default Re: Tamper-resistant outlets

Yeah, it's new article 406.11 and says that receptacles in areas specified in 210.52 all 125-v 15-20 amp shall be listed tamper reistant receptacles.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Yeah, it's new article 406.11 and says that receptacles in areas specified in 210.52 all 125-v 15-20 amp shall be listed tamper reistant receptacles.
    Thanks, I'll track all that down later.....

There Are Alot Of New Changes In The 2008 Nec Code Book For Resedential The Tamper Proof Plugs In New Homes Is Just One Of Them. One Of The Big Changes That Will Effect Resdential Is That All Breakers That Are In The Panel Must Be Arc Fault Except For The Small Branch Kitchen Circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by dc16 View Post
    There Are Alot Of New Changes In The 2008 Nec Code Book For Resedential The Tamper Proof Plugs In New Homes Is Just One Of Them. One Of The Big Changes That Will Effect Resdential Is That All Breakers That Are In The Panel Must Be Arc Fault Except For The Small Branch Kitchen Circuit.
    Most of these codes are nothing but product changes. I am willing to bet that manufactors pushed for these changes to sell higher priced items. The one I love the most is refridgators being GFI protected.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefln View Post
    Most of these codes are nothing but product changes. I am willing to bet that manufactors pushed for these changes to sell higher priced items. The one I love the most is refridgators being GFI protected.
    I never GFCI fridge outlets. To much at steak if it trips. I would rather use a single outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I never GFCI fridge outlets. To much at steak if it trips. I would rather use a single outlet.
    Nice pun.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Nice pun.
    Just had to type it !!!
    I am wondering about the GFCI instillation for the old Norges. That something we do not do in these parts....

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    My understanding of the new code is that it has to be GFCI. I could be wrong I only looked over it breifly, but that was my understanding. But in PA they are not going to enfource the new code until 2010 anyways.

Yeah, that steak might thaw out!