+ Reply to Thread

Post 1929 Historic Miami Shores Home

I'm working on a Friends Home he inherited from his Mother, it was built in 1929 in the Historic District of Miami Shores, the home is magnificent! All the internal doors are old Dade Pine, and had 70 something years of paint on them. The Doctor had a company dip the doors to have them stripped of the paint, however, they are 5 raised panels, there is still paint residue in some of the recesses of the raised panels. How can I remove this paint residue, as we want to stain the doors and door casings, but I know the paint residue in the creases will not accept the stain. I really hope I can get a response or some assistance, this house is beautiful, and my Friend Robert, is a Chiaropractor who owns the house, and he really wants to restore it back to it's original beauty and I will be removing paint from the cathedral ceiling beams as well, to restore the ceiling back to it's natural wood. I live across the state in Cape Coral, but I'm spending Weeks at a time in Miami helping my friend restore his home.

Default Re: 1929 Historic Miami Shores Home

First, I would never had taken the doors to a dip-n-strip, the process has a tendency to weaken glue joints. I have had to completely disassemble doors that have been through that process, clean re-glue and reassemble. Having said that, at this point I would get some paste stripper and apply it to the areas where the paint remains, then use a tooth brush dipped in stripper to scrub the area to remove the residue. You can also make a small sc****r with a piece of wood about the size of a swizzle stick to aid in the removal.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb