+ Reply to Thread

Default Experience w/Beckett Heat Manager?

This forum has been a Godsend as I try to decide on a system to replace my currently leaking, 16-yr. old Crown boiler. Thanks to everyone who's been posting; you've given me quite an education!

I'm leaning towards a steel New Yorker boiler w/a 35 gallon indirect water heater. Given the price of heating oil, the installer is also recommending a Beckett Heat Manager, which promises to reduce oil consumption by 10 to 20%.

Does anyone have one, and is it worth the extra money? I don't have a price quote yet, but I'm figuring at least $350 to $450 to add it. If I'm calculating correctly, it should save me almost $250 the first year, but that sounds almost too good to be true.

Thanks for your help.
    T.

Default Re: Experience w/Beckett Heat Manager?

they are only good if your house requires min boiler temps of 190 degrees or higher. if you have a very big house there great medium size house don't waste your money bin there done that i tried myself very disapointed new boiler controls will do same thing if set to do so

Therese:

Could you provide more info as to your general location, the total sq.footage of your home & the model number & price range quote of the New Yorker.

I think you should concentrate on selecting a quality boiler for a reasonable install price over supplementary equipment like a heat manager.

You say "steel boiler"---which unless it is a condensing/variable output is IMHO not as desireable as a CAST IRON boiler for durability & efficient heating ability.

Do you have the model # of the proposed New Yorker boiler???--they make mostly oil-fired boilers---do you have natural gas available in your area---if so, you can do a fuel cost comparison (below) to decide if NG is less expensive than fuel oil---these days it usually is---you'll have to call your local gas co. to find out what a therm (1000 cu.ft. of nat.gas costs).

The Beckett Heat Manager has gotten some good reviews and some bad reviews--depending on the type of heating situation present.

It seems to do best with older, large, oversized boilers that are short-cycling a lot---the heat manager eliminates some of the short-cycling & thus saves fuel.

But in YOUR case, since you are getting a new boiler that should be properly sized to begin with, I doubt that it would be worth the money.

The installer should do a HEAT LOSS CALCULATION to find out the proper size of boiler to install in your home.

Any short-cycling of the boiler can often be cured by down-rating the burner nozzle (putting in a smaller nozzle)---the boiler will burn with a smaller flame for longer cycles, which saves fuel.

The improved design of a new boiler will also serve to save you fuel, as there have been design improvements in the past 15-20 years---even for entry level pin-type cast iron boilers in the $1300-$1500 range.

Rather than buying the Beckett Heat manager, spend the $400-$500 to have additional insulation blown into your exterior walls & attic---this should be done BEFORE you have the new boiler installed, as this will allow you to have a smaller boiler installed, which will burn less fuel.

Instead of a Beckett Heat Manager, I would recommend an outdoor reset system by Tekmar 260---also google "tekmar 260 outdoor reset","Honeywell outdoor reset" and "taco outdoor reset".

Click onto my name to get info on how outdoor resets work---they generally sample the outdoor temp during the winter & on "not so cold days" reduce the boiler water temp---which saves fuel usage.

For a new boiler purchase, get at least 6 estimates/quotes from the Yellow Pages (Heating Contractors, Fuel oil dealers, Oils-Fuel)---the estimates will vary widely, as well as the choice of equipment.

Use the Home Depot/Lowe's base price for a Slant/Fin Liberty boiler @ $1350 plus $700 for an Amtrol Boilermate indirect hot water heater plus $1000 for installation costs & removal of old boiler = $3k to $4k for a new install.

Click onto my name for past posts for recommended boilers & indirect hot water heaters.

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=5571
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=5085
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=1639
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=3820
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 06-09-2008 at 07:52 PM.

With all do respect I disagree with spending the $300-$450 for a rather crude approach to managing the boilers temp. Outdoor resetís such as the Honeywell, tekmar or taco are better then having nothing at all however with the cost generally being over $300- $450 you are much better off purchasing a Intellicon HW+ which uses a more sophisticated approach to boiler temp management which uses telemetry to determine heating/domestic water load, it is a heck of lot more efficient then using an outdoor reset that uses the philosophy of best guess, The Intellicon is manufactured by the same company as the Heat Manager however it is a stripped down less robust model than the Intellicon HW+ and what i find one of the most important aspectís is that if the home owner does not achieve at least a 10% saving if fuel costs, the mfg will refund the cost of the unit, tekmar, honeywell or taco dose not offer the same, so that in itself should offer insight.

Default Should I buy an Intellicon HW+ ?

We have a Weil-McLain Boiler Model P-468-WT (which is about 17-20 yrs. old), a Beckett Burner Model#AFG (which is about 17-20 yrs. old) and a Therma-Flow Hot Water Coil Model #WE625 with a rating of 5 GPM (which is 5 years old). We live in N.H. and burn 900 gals. of oil per year for heat and hot water. Through an energy cooperative that I am a member of, I can buy an Intellicon HW+ for $185 which I may be able to install myself, or pay $140 for installation. Should I buy the Intellicon HW+ ?

Thanks,
    Sandy
    Last edited by Sandyon1a; 08-09-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: corrected spelling

Hi I would definitely go with the Intellicon HW+ just make sure it is the latest version, that is greater then s/n's 3250005000, as there have significant improvements to the device over the older models, also since it is a much more enhanced version then the "little brother" heat manager I would highly recommend spending the extra couple of bucks for the Intellicon HW+ there is a guy on ebay named "Green Heating Systems" that sells the units exclusively and he knows all the technical aspects inside and out, matter of fact the his installation instructions can be found here: http://share.ovi.com/channel/schlussler.public it is very simple to install and he is extremely helpful. I would however caution about joining a co-op with energy prices in a state of flux I would rather spot buy on then rely on a market that is exploiting the consumer, the cost of oil has gone down almost $35 over the last 5 weeks and I can not see the point in locking in to a contract that is based upon the higher numbers....I spot bought in the 1970's and i was always ahead of the contracts and co-op's