+ Reply to Thread

Default AC compressor starting/stopping

I just had a new compressor installed a couple of months ago. I turned it on for the first time yesterday. After 30 minutes i realized cool air was not coming through my vents. I went outside and saw that the fan in the compressor would run for 10-30 seconds, stop, then immdeiately turn on again. Anyone know what could be happening? The temp in my house is 83 and i set the the thermostate to 72, so it can't be a matter of the system cycling.
    thanks

Default Re: AC compressor starting/stopping

Quote Originally Posted by picsaro View Post
    I just had a new compressor installed a couple of months ago. I turned it on for the first time yesterday. After 30 minutes i realized cool air was not coming through my vents. I went outside and saw that the fan in the compressor would run for 10-30 seconds, stop, then immdeiately turn on again. Anyone know what could be happening? The temp in my house is 83 and i set the the thermostate to 72, so it can't be a matter of the system cycling.
    thanks
    I would say who ever installed your compressor needs to come back. especially if you haven't used it since the new compressor was installed.
    were you there when they put the new one in?
    did they test it out?

i've called them, but because AC not workig is not an emergency, i have to wait until a weekday to schedule. and im sure ill be way down on their list to come back.
    my wife was there when it was installed, and air did come through the vents, but she said it was hard to tell how cool it was. and i guess no one thought to watch the compressor in action for more than 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by picsaro View Post
    i've called them, but because AC not workig is not an emergency, i have to wait until a weekday to schedule. and im sure ill be way down on their list to come back.
    my wife was there when it was installed, and air did come through the vents, but she said it was hard to tell how cool it was. and i guess no one thought to watch the compressor in action for more than 10 seconds.
    well they should have checked the temp coming out the vent when they tested it. they now have high tech devices that they simply aim at the vent and it tells them the temp. I would keep calling them and pestering them till they come out (squeeky wheel gets the grease thing) I really hate the thought of paying someone else for something when it should probally be covered by who originally installed it.

Yes, the original contractor should by all means return and address the problem, and sooner rather than later! I am not completely sure if you are referring to the compressor or the condenser (which would be a completely new outdoor unit, while the compressor is the major component inside an existing unit).

The short-cycling could be any number of things. If you can't get someone back out there in a reasonable amount of time. (Simply because your unit is 'running' is not a reason to put you off. You can tell them you have no cooling, as you don't). But, if you don't get any results, call the manufacturer and let them know. They may be able to recommend a competent contractor to look at it.

Good luck.

All the best, Irishmist
    Live your life as an EXCLAMATION; not an explanation!