+ Reply to Thread

Default Black front entry with black storm door

Hi,

Our front entryway does not get direct sunlight, so we decided to install a black door about 6 months ago. Now we are looking to install a storm door and we wanted to go with black again, but the big box store spe******t said the air between a black storm door and a black entryway door would get super-heated and possible melt the material, even if they do not receive direct sunlight. We live down in NC, which gets super hot, so is there some truth to this?

Many thanks,

MB

Default Re: Black front entry with black storm door

Quote Originally Posted by mbdurham View Post
    Hi,

Our front entryway does not get direct sunlight, so we decided to install a black door about 6 months ago. Now we are looking to install a storm door and we wanted to go with black again, but the big box store spe******t said the air between a black storm door and a black entryway door would get super-heated and possible melt the material, even if they do not receive direct sunlight. We live down in NC, which gets super hot, so is there some truth to this?

Many thanks,

MB
    If this door receives no direct sunlight......the color of it and the storm should be irrelevant.

No radiant heat/energy source striking the door = no radiant heat gain.

That leaves potential convective sources (the ambient temperature surrounding them at any given time) and the rate of conduction (how fast or slow any convective temperature rise or decline tranfers thoroughout the material)

The temperature of the prime door and storm will naturally fluctuate with the ambient temperature(s) to which they are exposed, but can't get hotter or colder than the temperature of the environment in which they reside.......under the circumstances you describe. Example: There will be no difference in the peak potential terminal temperature of a black chair or a white chair sitting inside my house.....unless the sun is shining on them thru a window..........or there is some other radiant energy source influence brought into play.

The same holds true for the space between these two doors. With no radiant heat gain source in play, that space can't get hotter than the ambient temperature surrounding the doors......unless you introduce a space heater, heat gun or similar "artificial" source.

Default Re: Black front entry with black storm door

For what it's worth, for 20+ years my family had a black storm door (I just had it repainted white in the last couple years). It was mainly that tough plastic (not glass) and the bottom and sides were all black metal. It was on a porch, so didn't get direct sun. The front door was painted black for as long as I can remember. We get hot summers... upper 80s and 90s. Never was a problem.