+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default problem pear tree

We have a beautiful pear tree over 30 ft tall that we'd like to keep but the birds and squirrels cause the pears to fall before their ripe and attract the (opossum, raccoon, rats, cats, dogs, armadillo (those are the ones we know about) from the nearby creek and the rotten ones attract the roaches and I was planning on cutting the tree down this morning but thought I'd try to find out if there was a way to make the tree sterille so I could leave the tree and cause it to not make pears. Thanks, Dan

Default Re: problem pear tree

I have to admit , that's an interesting question .

Well lets hear an interesting answer pleeeeease. I'm tired of the varments and roaches. I believe the NCNB Tower in Charlotte NC embalmed the trees in their interior plaza which were placed in 6' deep concrete tree wells (I was part of the team in 1988 that drew the subgrade parking garage) but the space was or is conditioned and this tree would be outside exposed to all the elements. I'd really love to keep the shade tree ande it blocks the sun from the house. Thanks and give me some good ideas.

Well I see that a lot of people have checked this question out so here's the answer I got today from Davey Tree Experts in Austin TX:
    Florel Fruit Eliminator will keep the tree from fruiting when applied in the spring when the tree blossoms. So if you have the same problem I do check it out and tell me your results - Spring is a next year for me in Plano TX but maybe closer for others in different parts of the globe.

I can't answer your question but would suggest you also check with your county extension service and the state forestry service. Both have access to university and government information.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I did check with County Ag agent and they didn't know of any method.