+ Reply to Thread

Default Unknown Wire - HELP!!!

Hopefully someone can help me! I just tore down a closet in my laundry room - thinking there was nothing in the walls - no reason to think there was. Well, I found 3 wires in one of the walls. 2 of the wires I was able to track down to the basement and find that they were not connected to anything - so I coiled them up and put them in the ceiling. The 3rd is a mystery wire, I can't figure out what it would be for or where it goes. The wire is yellow and has a lot of numbers and letters on it and I have no idea what they mean - E109172 (UL) CMB/MPR PCC-FT4 22 AWG (6212E) Any ideas! Help quick before my husband gets sick of the torn apart room!

Default Re: Unknown Wire - HELP!!!

The wire in question is a telephone or network wire. More than likely unless you have more than on computer on the internet it is a phone wire. 22 AWG is to small for anything else.

Telephone cable, Internet cable, thermostat cable or security system cable.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

So I guess the question is now, can I splice it to make it longer so that I can move it out of my way, and can I put it behind drywall or does it need to be in a wall or conduit?

Should be no problemcutting and splicingto lenghten the wire. Low voltage wire should be solder spliced though IMHO. Yes you can put it in a cavity behind drywall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Telephone cable, Internet cable, thermostat cable or security system cable.
    Another possibility: doorbell wire.

Doorbell or thermostat wiring should be 18 AWG, not 22 AWG. Most likely it is telephone, security, or computer network cable.

Splicing CAT 5 network cable may cause a noticeable speed decrease. Splicing CAT 3 phone cable can cause interference. The good news is that CAT 3 or CAT 5 would probably be clearly labeled.
    HTH

Dave

It might be cheaper to go and buy another cable than splicing it together. My way of thinking is that one less thing to go wrong is the best way to go. You could have trouble down the road and would have to check every connection to find the problem. I work as an electrician in a plant and always replace rather than repair. Just my two cents

It might be a bit overkill but if you have access to a tone generator, and since we know it is probably a phone or data wire, you could test all of your active lines and possibly just eliminate the mystery cable if it is unused.

Someone handy with electronics, Electrical contractors, Network/LAN/PC technicians etc... if any of these are friends of yours they may be able to loan you a tone generator.

Or you could buy one like this one listed on Amazon which may do the trick, though I have no personal experience with this model.
    Wire Tracker Tone Generator

Red face Re: Unknown Wire - HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xyxoxy View Post
    It might be a bit overkill but if you have access to a tone generator, and since we know it is probably a phone or data wire, you could test all of your active lines and possibly just eliminate the mystery cable if it is unused.

Someone handy with electronics, Electrical contractors, Network/LAN/PC technicians etc... if any of these are friends of yours they may be able to loan you a tone generator.

Or you could buy one like this one listed on Amazon which may do the trick, though I have no personal experience with this model.
    Wire Tracker Tone Generator
    http://www.iautomate.com/kp100.html

personaly, this is the model that I use... And yes it is a bit overkill... a simple one like the one mentioned above, will do the trick, or a cheap version from lowes as well....I also feel it is not internet/network cable due to the fact that Cat-5 or Cat-3 would be clearly labled...