+ Reply to Thread

Default heating duct problem

I have a gas hot water furnance the duct that goes into the wall up to the chimney has a substance around it to keep it secure at the wall like a collar. it has cracked away from wall. I do not know what the substance name is I remember it was dry powder and you mix it with water i asked in a hardware store and they said cement but it is not cement it is almost like a plaster of paris product.Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: heating duct problem

Howdy it is likly hydrolic cement. can buy it at most hardware stores or big box store lowels home depoe

Quote Originally Posted by gardengirl52 View Post
    I have a gas hot water furnance the duct that goes into the wall up to the chimney has a substance around it to keep it secure at the wall like a collar. it has cracked away from wall. I do not know what the substance name is I remember it was dry powder and you mix it with water i asked in a hardware store and they said cement but it is not cement it is almost like a plaster of paris product.Any help would be appreciated.
    It will be helpful to give you some of the terminology that applies to this problem.
    The "duct" you mention is the water heater flue, or vent.
    The "wall" is the side of the chimney. (I think.)
    The "collar" should actually be a thimble.
    The substance you're looking for is called furnace cement,
    and you will find it at a supplier of HVAC products, and
    possibly at a home-improvement store.

The sales people at the big-box home-improvement stores may not know much about your problem, but people at an HVAC-supply house will know exactly what you want.

It's important for you to get the right products, since gas-burning appliances produce flue gases and condensation that are acidic, and they can corrode the wrong types of materails and lead to vent failure, which, in turn, can result in carbon-monoxide poisoning.

thanks for your help I thought the people at the hardware store should of knew furnace cement, I kept saying that it had to be a heat resistant product their was 5 store clerks standing there trying to fiqure this out. you understood what I meant.

Howdy you are welcome.