+ Reply to Thread

Default New Fan won't work

Last fall my ceiling fan stopped working. It was old so I figured it was time for a new one.... I just replaced it and now the new one isn't working either.. according to my electrical tester there is power at the wires. I spliced the white to white, black to black and the white striped black to the black as well.

After installing the fan completely, I turned on the circuit only to find it not working. I checked for power where the light would be installed on the fan and that too indicates power. Am I safe to assume if there is power there, that the fan should also be live?

There is a hall light on the same breaker and that works fine. I'm not sure where the electrical wire from the fan ties into the the lines on that breaker but could it be possible that there may be a loose connection resulting in a small trickle of power to the fan?

Does this make sense?

Default Re: New Fan won't work

Is the fan controlled by a wall switch or pull chain ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Only the Pull chain on the fan itself

I'm guessing when you say a "tester" you probably aren't using a voltmeter.
    If the tester is one that lights up ( non-contact) as you place it near the black wire that won't tell you if you have a poor neutral connection.

With a voltmeter ... placing one lead on the hot ( black) and the other test lead on the neutral ( white ) should read approx. 120 volts .... if it doesn't and you have a ground circuit ... move the test lead from the neutral and put it on the ground to see if there is 120 volts beteween the hot and ground.
    If you do get 120 between the hot and ground you can bet there is an bad neutral connection.

Be careful and don't stand on a metal ladder to do this.
    - Rush

Yes all I have is a basic tester..

I appreciate your advice. I will give that a try tonight
    after I stop and get a voltmeter.

When my old fan stopped working it was right after we lost power one day. Do you think losing power could have had an effect on a neutral connection for that specific wire since the hall light that is on the same breaker still works...

a neutral connection for that specific wire since the hall light that is on the same breaker still works...
    The poor neutral connection is likely the feed to the ceiling junction box where the fan is .... or if there are muliple neutral wires connected together with a wire nut and a pig tail that is being used to connect the fan's neutral wire to.

Of course I could be way off base ... it's been known to happen.
    - Rush