+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete Stain vs. Epoxy: Which is better?

Hello All!

I am nearing completion of having my first house built. We could not afford to do stamped/colored sidewalks, but my Better- half wants to dress-up the concrete sidewalk(s), patio, and garage floors. (okay, the garage floor is my idea.)
    I'd like to know which product is better for coloring and protection; The Epoxy type paints sold at places like H.D./Menards, or the etching type concrete stains?
    All the 'crete is new, just poured in the last two weeks.

Thanks for your input!

ps. We live in Wisconsin so it has to hold up to the seasons...

Default Re: Concrete Stain vs. Epoxy: Which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    I would definitely go with one of the epoxy floor kits for the garage floor because they repel oil stains, road salt, etc. A concrete coloring stain will not look as good on a garage floor after it is exposed to that same abuse. You should however read the instructions on the epoxy kit about applying it to new concrete.

For your exterior walks and patio, if you are insistent on coloring them, the stain would be a better choice. You need to be sure about this because it is permanent. The better coloring choice for concrete is mixing in the color during the pouring process. Surface stains do not fare as well over time when the concrete chips, cracks, salt pits, etc. If I wanted to dress up my walks I might opt for brick paver borders, etc. You may want to sell your house some day and a potential buyer may not like your colored walks.

Just a few thoughts on your subject.

DB

Thanks for your input!

JPO