+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken Windows

Post Broken Windows

During the past two years I have had three windows just crack for no reason at all. The first was a crank out above the kitchen sink which we had replaced at the local hardware store. Then last fall its twin also cracked (photo attached) and then this spring the top sash in the master bath also cracked (photos attached) for no apparent reason (noticed glass slivers on the window sill). For all three windows it has been the interior pane only, the glass has stayed within the frame and they all have exposure to the sun and humidity. Does anyone have a suggestion to why they might be cracking?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0569.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	1179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0570.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	1180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0571.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	1181  

Default Re: Broken Windows

I am not an expert in this area but I have seen this before and it was due to the window frame being out of square and the window due to heating when wanting to expand couldn't. like I say I'm not an expert in this area so I'm sure there can be other causes and maybe a more likely suspect. this is just one that I have seen

Smile Re: Broken Windows

I will check the window for being square, but I believe they are the original windows installed 14 years ago.

If the master bath window is directly above the kitchen windows, it may indicate that you have had some settling of the house putting pressure on the windows.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Fortunately, they are not on the same wall. The masterbath window is located in the middle of the SSE facing wall at the end of the house and kitchen windows are located on the WSW facing wall about 1/3 of the way down. Both do have mini-blinds which are usually 1/2 to 3/4 down.

It appears you have a swimming pool. How long has it been there?

How long have the blinds been in place? Are they metal blinds perhaps?

If it's only the interior panes that are cracking.......I'm suspecting some overheating of the air/gas between the panes creating a thermal stress issue.

The pool has been there since we bought the house, so I am not sure of the age.

The kitchen blinds are wood and are drawn down 1/2 to 3/4 of the way. The bathroom mini-blinds are plastic and are usually kept halfway down and are partially opened.

I was thinking heat stress alos, but wasn't sure what to do to reduce the stress or other options.

One more fact, wIndow manufacturer is Hurd.