+ Reply to Thread

Default removing paint from redwood siding

We had replaced 1/2 of the old siding with new redwood siding, when we added on 20 yrs ago and at that time we used a penatrating sealer, which we finish it with. We would like to do the same for the existing house, but our area doesn't carry it anymore. My question is alot of the existing paint is peeling off & I can see the original board.

Can I power spray the siding to get it down to the bare board which is readwood, replace just the damaged boards & boards at which have plastic plug from being insulated, use a penatrating stain, like I used for the new siding. The old redwood was primed, but very thinly?

We thought of having it sandblasted, and replaceing just the boards at which have plastic plug from being insulated, and damaged boards.
    Can any of these ideas work? I did found a redwood supplier on the internet, but they are in California & we live in Indiana, the less redwood that we can buy, the less the shipping cost.
    Last edited by Rebecca L. Fuelling; 08-13-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: old siding is redwood

Default Re: removing paint from redwood siding

Rebecca,

I would use Removall 220, a paint stripper that is entirely safe and environmentally friendly. Actuall there is a Removall feature on this site. You can order a sample on line at www.dtep.com to try out out.

Good Luck!!
    Michele in Vancouver